Waterproof/Watertight Storage Comparments on Gen2?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carey Frennier

Reaction score
So I ran into a snag yesterday with my audio install. They couldn't fit my front stage amp in my truck under any seat or behind the seat with both my subs and the sub stage amp.

There just isn't enough space.

I had an idea. What if I mounted both my amps in the front most storage unit in the bed box? I don't use it for anything at all because it's a pain in the arse to get to. I can't remember if that storage unit is watertight or waterproof. If it is than I think I may just stick my amps there.

I can build an insulated box for them. This will keep them warmer in the winter and vibration dampen compartment.

I can't think of any problems with this idea can you?

They do need air flow.. I've never seen the gen 2 compartment thingies, but I'd imagine you can make something work.

Amps should be mounted to something inside of your built container thing, and then the container thing shouldn't have any room to move inside the bed compartment. You can power a small fan or two if you need to get some airflow to go.. computer fans are 12 volt just like your amps.

Just went downstairs to my 08 ST, climbed in the back and open the compartment......

Bone Dry....but there is a sticker on the lid that states "This compartment is NOT waterproof"

I went to thru the carwash this past week and we have had some rain here in Georgia

Not a drop of water was in there. You might be ok to do that.:)

Good Luck!

Bud

Personally I wouldn't mount it in the bed unless you had a full fiberglasss tonneau cover on it. Not sure about the gen 2's but I know mine has drain holes in the bed where moisture can come through and ruin the amp and wiring. Just a thought. Don't want to see you have something like that get ruined.

Latest posts