We don't need no stinkin 6ft beds

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff C

Reaction score
Went to Home Depot to pick up some stuff. When I was loading it all up, some guy walked by saying I'd never fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood in the bed, kinda chuckling under his breath. I was laughing as I drove away. I should have gotten a picture yesterday when I hauled home around 800lbs of lumber for the deck we're building. ST was sittin mighty low, especially with 3 passengers, but handled the ride on the interstate just fine. I love this truck more and more every time I do something like this. I can fit 4 friends, and haul a crapload of stuff in the back. I never plan to get rid of my ST.

BTW, you can see the 2x6x8' goin through the power down rear window...Take that '07 Job 1 owners :D

Oh, and for those of you curiouis, the plywood is for my Custom Flushfit Tonneau, Version 2.0: I won't reveal any details, but members at Louisville will be able to see it and it will be a vast improvement over the current tonneau in the projects section.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a bed extender at Harbor Frieght and carried a 18" kayak to Lexington KY. with it in my Trac. The new Harbor Freight store had an opening sale and the extender cost $22.00.

g. 3/4" Sanded Birch. Gonna use a 48" SS piano hinge, and locking clasps this time. Also gonna cover in black marine vinyl for a stock look.

Bart. Thanks.

Oh, here's another mod I just completed, dual brakes/blinkers in the back

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
I mounted additional cable pins so that the tailgate will open and hold at a 45 degree. This allows plywood to "sit flat" using the wheel wells and the tailgate top edge. The cables simply move from one pin to the other, depending on what I need. Purchased the exta pins from Ford for less than $5. To install, I removed the tail-lights.:D

jeff ,reasond i asked is that i have a 72 x 1.5 inch ss piano hinge. .750 per side .if its hinged in the middle and you need it let me know.23 ballistic asked about it .but have not heard from him..

That's another reason the rear power window is a must have. Can't tell you how many times I've hauled long stuff by poking it through the window. Still can't believe Ford would even consider making a Trac without this option.

War Eagle,

Seattle Sport Trac, the site sponsor at http://www.webxtremes.com can make them, but you will have to specifically ask as they aren't listed on his site.

Jeff you should put on a couple coats of polyurethane to water seal the wood before you cover it both sides it will also help it from swelling when it gets wet.just my opinion

bpoche. It is in the plan, but I couldn't have it done in time for L'ville if I did that. Maybe when I get back I'll do it, but for now, it just has to look good for a week :)