Well, it wasn't the 4wd module... UPDATE!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kerry Matthews

Reaction score
Well, I found out Friday night that my 4wd problem wasn't the control module...

It's been working fine since I purchased the new module, and since it was in an easily accessible location, I figured I'd wait until it failed to replace it. Friday night it failed.

I went to Tahoe after the game, and it was snowing over the summit. So I tested the 4wd several times on the way up. I get to the chain control, and wouldn't you know it, the 4wd doesn't work... I replace the 4wd module and still have no 4wd! 45 minutes it takes before engaging!!! I'm not very happy right now with my Ford product... So now, of course it probably won't give me any problems when I take it to them in the morning.... And it needs to be fixed NOW!

Last edited by a moderator:
That is why I suggest to grab a multimeter ans see if you getting juice to all your actuators.

Tom

I say take it to the dealer, and pay them so they can figure out what's wrong...i know its not the cheapest or best idea, but i did it, and it saved me money and anger...just give them an hour to check wires, modules, etc, and ull b hapyp u did...better off to pay and have 4wd than to not pay and not have 4wd...also, what aboutthe 4wd motor? transfer case??

Andy

I've been in contact with them the entire time. Those were the first two things that the service advisor & the Ford mechanics I talked to said to check first. Now that that's done, it <b>IS</b> time to take it in and have them look at it. But like I said, it's so intermittant that it probably won't act up again until I need it, like when there's R2 chain controls over the summit (chains required except for 4wd with snow tires), and I can't get home at 3 in the morning!!! The poor dogs were probably scared to death listening to me cuss out the P.O.S. 4wd for 45 friggin' minutes... AGAIN! lol

I have had the same problem - it was my 4wd motor. Sometimes it engaged, sometimes it did not. I insisted the dealer replaced mine. So far it works but everytime it is forecasted to snow I test the motor. You gotta love it - you buy a new truck, realize that the suspension system is awful so you immediately replace the anti-sway bar, replace the shocks and deal with a 4x4 system that fails. I'm not sure I would go with Ford again.

Gavin,

The guys at my local Ford dealership know me QUITE well by now. Several of them eat at our restaurant. So they're NOT gonna be running me around with parts... Actually, the only thing I'm out is the $12 for the dash switch. I'll be returning the 4wd module today. IF they don't take it back, it'll be for sale here REAL cheap! ($90) We'll see what they say...

Well, I went to Ford and told them I wasn't happy today, and that I needed my 4wd to work, or I'd have a Toyota in my driveway next week. That got 'em moving REAL quickly...

So they plugged my rig into the scanner, and the shift motor has bad contact plates, according to the bad codes that came up. I'm told that the shift motor is similar to to a starter motor, in that there are contact plates around an armature, and that mine has developed a 'flat spot', which is why it intermittantly skips and is gradually getting worse. So a new shift motor is on order from Minneapolis, and they're gonna 'trade out' the control module for the shift motor, which will then cost me about $20. They're gonna charge me 2.7 hours labor, which will be $205, so I'm looking at about $225 to fix the problem.

Is the 'shift motor' the little motor on the transfer case that looks like a windshield wiper motor?

Yes fred, the shift motor is on the transfer case.

It is a very common problem. We see it most on vehicles that are infrequently put in 4 wheel drive.

This is the single reason I twell every one to engauge their 4X4 sytem every m0nth even in the summer time.

A good test for this is to t ir with a hammer the next time it does not engauge. If the motor has a flat spot the light tapping will normally jar it just enough to get it to activate.

This is the single reason I twell every one to engauge their 4X4 sytem every m0nth even in the summer time.

A good test for this is to t ir with a hammer the next time it does not engauge. If the motor has a flat spot the light tapping will normally jar it just enough to get it to activate.

That's just it, I <b>DO</b> use my 4x4 quite often. At least once a month, unless that's too infrequently.... I use it at least once a month in the summer to go off road, and whenever I need it in the winter, and last year, that was quite a bit!

And the motor WAS in stock at the warehouse in Richmond, so it'll be here in the morning. By tomorrow noon, the problem SHOULD be fixed for good! (I hope)

I may soon be going through the same thing, Krash. I've been switching into 4x4 just about every time I get in, just to make sure it works. Sometimes, I get nothing... it's like I haven't even moved the switch. About half the time, I'll get the clicking on the passenger side, and the 4x4 kicks in with no problem. Every now and then, I'll get the click, but no light. After a few seconds, there's a few more clicks, and then it usually kicks in.

Makes me glad I got the extended warranty...

OK, the rig's back... the 4wd is working... so far! We'll see if it works when I need it...

The whole shebang cost me $340 and a couple of large combination pizzas.

The motor on mine was bad at delivery (never worked). I was discussing this with the service manager and he said something to the effect of "you know, back in the day, there were levers you had to push or pull that connected directly to the transfer case, those rarely went bad".