Well, it wasn't the 4wd module... UPDATE!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, the old manual hubs were dead solid reliable, but who wants to get out and walk through mud/snow/whatever to twist the hubs?

My '95 Geo (Suzuki) Tracker had manual front hubs. Got stuck several times as I forgot to lock the hubs before getting into trouble.

Last edited by a moderator:
"you know, back in the day, there were levers you had to push or pull that connected directly to the transfer case, those rarely went bad".

My 79 Bronco had the lever on the floor and manual hubs. Never had a problem, and all it took was a little common sense to get out and engage the hubs, shift into 4WD BEFORE getting in a situation requiring it.

Sometimes technology is a bad thing.

Not having a manual 4X4 engagement was the only hesitation I had on buying my Trac. I had the motor problem on my Ranger, I went so far as to pull the motor off the transfer case, pull the armature out and clean contact points with an alcohol swab. Super PITA. That is one strong magnet, especially when you are laying under your truck on freezing cold concrete with both arms over your head like a contortionist trying to put it back together because Ford in their infinite wisdom has one brown wire that runs from the shift motor to who knows where without a connection to take it apart. Whew.

If Ford is listening, PLEASE PUT A MANUAL 4X4 ENGAGEMENT IN THE NEW SPORTRACS!

Think anybody heard that?

Jake,

When you flip the 4wd switch on the dash, you should hear a 'tic toc' clicking sound coming from your passenger side kick panel, and the '4wd HI' light should light up on your dash. If there's no light and no 'clicking' sound, then your 4wd is NOT engaging.