Well the ST left me stranded today

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
well not really.. i knew it was coming. we have had a string of high temps in the teens here and projected as such for the next few days.

i had my battery checked last year and it was only producing about 500 cca max. my truck is an 03 built in late 02. the battery is original. it still seemed to crank ok a bit slugish in these temps but nothing to sneeze at or make me run out the parts store. it is funny how it happened though, i have been parking in the garage temp in the 40's. it fired up fine this morning and did fine on the way to the baby sitters, the trip in was 6-8 degrees, had the lights, cd player, fogs, both heaters going etc.. went to leave the sitters and hit the key, all idiot lights were on as was the dome lights etc. hit start and bam nothing. No clock, dome lights nothing. put it on the charger for about 15 min, tried it again with the charger on it scangauge showed 18volts so i hit it again and nothing. removed the charger and cleaned the terminals scangauge read 8 volts. I figured it was ready anyway so i picked up a fresh battery. slap it in and all is well. hoping for another 6 years out of this one! i am happy this happened to me and not the wife!:cool:

Glad to here you're up and running again. I have an '03 as well and replaced mine with I think a 900cca Bosch battery, I run alot of accessories, offroad lights, Rancho MyRide Wireless suspension system, aftermarket stereo (amp, sub being put in soon, just got done building box) C.B. radio, etc.. Had to upgrade, stock battery died.:banana:

Last edited by a moderator:
I always replace my vehicle batteries at 3 years just before winter. I'd rather change the battery on my terms, than to deal with it somewhere sometime inconvienent.

Funny you mentioned that. I have an '02. Has never hesitated to start. Last week I drive to town and stop at the post office and when I get back out, I hit the unlock button and everything starts clicking. I thought maybe it was some theft thing so put the key in the door and nothing. Key in ignition and try to start it and nothing. Called the garage and they came out and said it was the battery. Put a quick charge in it to get me to the shop and then put a new battery in it. He said it was the original battery. I told him....it's only an '02. He gave me a funny look......Hey I'm a girl.....what do I know about battery life (he he he).