Went looking for a rattle and found leaks

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommy VanNess

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I have had a rattle under the ST for a little while, figured it had to do with my sway bar. Anyway, I went looking to tighten up a few things up the other day. I was able to tighten the sway bar just a bit which fixed the rattle, but while I was there I found some fluids that I didn't like so much.

First one was the oil pan. It looks like the gasket is leaking. Not too much because I check the oil regularly. Has anyone ever replaced this? If so, scale of 1-10 on difficulty? I've never done it but I am pretty sure I can.

Second one, the one I am worried about, is the rear differential. I would like to replace that gasket as well, but what is involved with that one? Do I need a hand pump to get fluid in there? How hard is that one.

Thanks for any info. I'm closing in on 200,000 miles, and am looking forward to the next 100K.

Tommy

A few years ago I replaced the diff cover on my 4X2 Trac with an aftermarket one. And I didn't have to use a hand pump to fill it. I may have had to use a flexible tube to pour fluid from the bottle and into the fill hole. Getting the fill plug off made me sweat a little. Came loose after increasing leverage by using a pipe over the wrench handle. The aftermarket diff had its own replacement gasket. You will need RTV also.

Ford doesn't offer a gasket but many others do, including the reusable Lube Locker.

Remember to loosen the 3/8" drive fill plug BEFORE removing the rear cover. GL

Thanks for the info guys. I have one stupid follow up question: I assume RTV is a liquid sealer I apply instead of a pre-molded gasket correct?

Oh, one last one. Is there a rear diff lubricant that Ford specifies, or can I just pick one up at an auto parts store?

Thanks for the responses.

Tommy

Tommy- RTV is silicone sealant. I used both a gasket and thin coat of Permatex sealant.

Check your manual for gear oil specs, should be 75W-140 synthetic with friction modifier

if you have a limited slip differential. Easy job but can be somewhat smelly and messy.

Just had to replace leaking rear wheel axle seals so had to remove diff cover and drain rear diff. If you have limited slip diff use the 75w140 and friciton mod if like me you have a regular diff 75w90 will be fine. I used the black permatex RTV, I wanted the green labeled stuff made specifically for gear oil but couldn't find it in stock nearby so black is fine. Clean up the surfaces real well and then apply the RTV to the cover and follow the directions on the RTV package. If there appears to be deformity that is causing the leak (cover rusted too badly or bent or whatever) you can pick up a new generic cover from Advance or wherever for about $15. As for refilling it, I just filled right from the quart bottles there was enough room, I'm sure a fluid transfer hand pump would be even better. Remove the spare tire to give you more working room.

Latest posts