What did you do to your Sport Trac today?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally installed my white gauge inlay’s from www.whitegauges.net . I was having problems seeing my indicators during day/glare. Replacing these made a huge difference without trying to purchase a used factory white panel, then getting it programmed for mileage.
View attachment 3063View attachment 3064
I like the white inlays. Now I want them.
I went to the website and it didn't list anything for the ST, and only up to 07 on the Explorer.
What year is your ST, and which set did you buy?
Thanks

Well, certainly not done just today, but it's been a busy couple of months with the new STA.
*All fluids changed.
*New color matched fiberglass cap.
*New rear brakes, rotors, calipers and pads.
*2 sets of OE rims power coated in metallic bronze. Matching sets for summer/winter.
*New Pirelli Scorpion Zero tires for summer.
*New Bridgestone Blizzak DM V2 tires for winter.
*New audio system (head unit, front and rear speakers, subs and 3 old school amps) with back up camera (emblem mounted).
*Built in power inverter. One outlet in center console of back seat, second outlet replaced the 12v outlet in the bed.
*New headlight assemblies, old ones were badly yellowed and wouldn't polish out.
*New taillight assemblies, old ones had been spray paint tinted, I don't like tinted lighting.
*Trailer brake controller.
*K&N cold air intake.
*Full dual exhaust. 2.25 pipe from cats to duel in/dual out Borla Pro XS muffler, 2.25 pipe to dual 4" black exhaust tips at factory location.
*SCT tuner and tune from Torrie at Unleashed tuning
*New front bearing assemblies.
*New suspension, everything. Front: strut assemblies, upper and lower control arms, sway bar links and bushings, inner and outer tie rod ends. Rear: strut assemblies, complete knuckles (with bearings and parking brakes), trailing arm bushings, all control and lateral arms, sway bar end links and bushings.
*Color matched the front and rear emblems red/black to match the truck.
*Blacked out the rear tailgate logos to get rid of any remaining chrome.
*A couple of new door seal trims.

I'm sure I am forgetting something, but that's a good list to start with.

I will try to give her a bath tomorrow and post some pictures.

Attachments

• 20231024_133840.jpg
    20231024_133840.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231024_133812.jpg
    20231024_133812.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231024_133853.jpg
    20231024_133853.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231024_135658.jpg
    20231024_135658.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231024_135626.jpg
    20231024_135626.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231024_135603.jpg
    20231024_135603.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230912_121433.jpg
    20230912_121433.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230714_170925.jpg
    20230714_170925.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Pictures are always good !

NICE truck. I own it's cousin !!!

I just tightened the 2 screws on my shifter column linkage to take the mush away from moving through the gears but I’m looking into how to align the indicator mark to the scale. The mark lands to the right of the gear scale letter but better functionality. Hate to say this but my college grad first time driver may have a problem with it. I also just finished installing the BOSS BE62CP-C radio. Lots of features for an inexpensive unit but the tuner isn’t as selective as the OEM radio. With Apple Carplay the radio won’t get much use. The backup camera powered off the reverse lamp feed is nice but it’s an app that has to be manually selected when you’re in reverse gear.

IMG_3530 (1).jpg
I painted this on my Adrenalin today. (Was in a dark corner, and had to use a flashlight so the color could be seen).

Last edited:
Motivated by a 1300 mile round trip coming next week, I finally replaced the original spark plugs and wires in my 2002 ST at 127,555 miles a few weeks ago. I've had the plugs for several years knowing it needed to be done. The gaps on plugs 1-3 were around .072, while 5 & 6 were .092 and .096. (I dropped #4 as it came out and still haven't found it.) The worst part of the job was getting the wires off the plugs, and getting the new #2 plug started in the hole. With the tire off, you can see the plug and hole, but there's not enough room to get my hand in there. I ended up using the boot off one of the old wires to get it started with my fingertips.
I've been getting around 15-15 1/2 mpg locally - sometimes 16. I drive a mix of short highway and interstate and city driving, although very little real stop and go. It got 17.1 on the first tank with the new plugs and wires, and almost 17.5 on the second tank. That's with the topper and roughly 200 lbs of tools and stuff in the back. On previous interstate trips from Des Moines to St Louis or Kansas City, it's gotten 18 to 19 mpg. The trip next week is to Columbus, Ohio, which will include a long stretch of pretty flat road in Illinois. It'll be interesting to see what the mpg will be on this trip!

In the past couple of weeks I've also
Replaced the fuel cap
Replaced the foggy headlight lenses with a perfectly clear set of Ford lenses I found at the salvage yard at some point.
Replaced the battery cable terminals.
Cleaned the MAF sensor.

Good maintenance!
Consider renewing the OxSensors also, if not done already.

New led headlights, driving lights, side markers, license plate and mirror lights. New sway bar links and while I was under it I change oil.
Hi, did you buy a led signal light relay or go with resistors ?

Hi, did you buy a led signal light relay or go with resistors ?
Looks like you live here in Canada, Alberta. You get some nasty winters out there.
Have you ever used LED lights on the exterior of a vehicle before?
I'm not a fan of them.
They don't produce enough heat to keep the head and most importantly, the tail lights clear in a good snow. Visibility is good.
Yes, you clear off your vehicle before you start out, but any Canadian knows that it doesn't take long for good snow build up to happen in a snow storm.
I've had several incidents in the last few years of almost hitting someone from behind because I couldn't see their brake lights, or any lights. It's always been a car with LED lighting. My wife's new Subaru last winter, Halogen headlights kept the road clear ahead of her, but zero could been seen of her led taillights. A 10 minute drive home from school and nothing could be seen of her tail lights. I am currently trying to figure out how to retrofit them back to a good old, heat producing incandescent bulb.
In snowy winter conditions, I just don't think they're safe.
I drive my vehicles all across Canada for work. On the road, I've seen it all.

All this negative being said however, LED's do make great supplementary lightning, I have have LED light bars or driving lights on all 3 of my vehicles (just put them on the ST yesterday) and love them. I couldn't imagine allot of dark nights in the middle of nowhere driving without them. I am know they have saved me from hitting more than a few big animals on dark nights.

Just my 2 cents worth, food for thought.

Put in supplimentary LED driving lights, Wednesday.
Continuing on the journey to eliminate all chrome. Gauge cluster trim and dash vent trim painted, door handles covered in 3m carbon fiber wrap, Thursday.
Does anyone know how to (if possible at all) to disassemble the gear shifter? Trying to figure out how to deal with the chrome here. Open to suggestions.
Happy Friday everyone!

Attachments

• 20231027_075302.jpg
    20231027_075302.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231027_075143.jpg
    20231027_075143.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231027_075227.jpg
    20231027_075227.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231027_075411.jpg
    20231027_075411.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
I just tightened the 2 screws on my shifter column linkage to take the mush away from moving through the gears but I’m looking into how to align the indicator mark to the scale. The mark lands to the right of the gear scale letter but better functionality. Hate to say this but my college grad first time driver may have a problem with it. I also just finished installing the BOSS BE62CP-C radio. Lots of features for an inexpensive unit but the tuner isn’t as selective as the OEM radio. With Apple Carplay the radio won’t get much use. The backup camera powered off the reverse lamp feed is nice but it’s an app that has to be manually selected when you’re in reverse gear.
Following up on the alignment of the shifter indicator alignment I discovered the cheapest most fragile plastic part on the adjuster that I have ever seen on an automotive application. Lucky me, the metal replacement was available on Amazon and going in right after this cup of coffee!
IMG_3065.jpeg

Put winter rims and tires on today.
It's been a nice extended fall here in central Ontario, but the cooler temperatures of winter are moving in soon.

Put in supplimentary LED driving lights, Wednesday.
Continuing on the journey to eliminate all chrome. Gauge cluster trim and dash vent trim painted, door handles covered in 3m carbon fiber wrap, Thursday.
Does anyone know how to (if possible at all) to disassemble the gear shifter? Trying to figure out how to deal with the chrome here. Open to suggestions.
Happy Friday everyone!
See I'm opposite, I'm trying to add more chrome.

See I'm opposite, I'm trying to add more chrome.
And that's what makes the world a wonderful place, we are all so different. That's a good thing. It would be a boring place if we all liked the same stuff.
Shine on my friend.

I got this in the mail today. I ordered it a few days ago. I thought it went along with the truck.

Whatcha think ??

Replaced old fog lights with new housings and some god awful bright led bulbs.

I said goodbye to my 2001 Sport Trac with 127K miles. Purchased it used in 2005 as we needed a truck with a back seat for our baby daughter's car seat. In August we took the Sport Trac on a 2,800 mile road trip to Colorado to drop her off at college. Along the way, someone backed into the rear bumper while we were at a restaurant. Bumper parts are not available, so it got totaled. I will miss the truck.

Latest posts