What does this mean for us?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoriMaury Kimbrough

Reaction score
Saw this article about the gov't wanting to add more ethanol to regular gas and couldn't help but wonder what it will do to the engine not only in my 02 ST, but also in my 94 Bronco and not to mention my boat. The boat has a Chevy 305 in it. I've heard that some CA docks are using fuel with more ethanol and not telling customers. There are a bunch of angry boat owners with gummed up engines.

Is this how they are finally going to force us until new cars that we, or at lease I, don't want?

It won't hurt a late-model engine but you will get worse gas mileage when the govt wants you to get better gas mileage. Go figure. :wacko:

This is probably being pushed by farming and ethanol industry lobbyists because E-85 sales have plummeted since gas prices dropped. In my area, E-85 is only about 10-20 cents cheaper/gallon than gas, where it was upwards of $1.00/gallon cheaper at this time last year. The larger difference in price back then made up for the decrease in MPG when using E-85. Now it doesn't make sense at all to use something that's more expensive.:wacko:

It's all subsidized bs. If it weren't for the government, the way E85 is currently produced would never be a consideration for a consumer when considering cost and MPG's. There is future technology out there to produce ethanol, not from corn though, more cheaply and in the end have a much more stable price than what we've been getting from Oil companies of late, but that is off in the distance as of yet and in my opinion won't ever be realized because of

A) the bad name E85 has gotten for its MPG decrease/ general consumer misinformation that it hurts your engine, even if it is E85 approved

B) the government policies that have forced ethanol into where it is now.

Latest posts