What hitches fit?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am sure this has been discussed before but when I try to search the words are so common it doesn't really narrow down the threads much. . .

Is there any crossover with other vehicles ( explorers, mountaineers etc) that trailer hitches fit from?

I will be hitting up a few junkyards in the next while and would like to keep my eye out if there are.

I have a 2001 btw.

I bought a brand new Kurt off of e-bay for $135 delivered to the house class III or IV depending on load leveling or not... nice hitch powdercoated inside and out fits up bedhind bumper just drops down in the center section..

There are (were?) several bolt on hitches available for the Gen1 Trac. Since the Gen1 has been out of production for such a long time, it may be difficult to find anyone having one in stock.

Both came with the 2" receiver and your Trac already has a 4-pin trailer connector at the back to support the standard tow ball hole in the bumper. In you need a different plug, you would need to take care of that yourself, or have whomever installs your hitch provide it.

The two most widely seen were the one offered by Ford and one sold by U-Haul. I would start by checking with both of them to find if they are still obtainable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Use "See all vehicles this product fits". Free shipping is a big plus, very heavy.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the replies. I have found the various options available new. $139.00 seems to be the going price . I will go that route if I have to but I'm not in a big hurry so I just thought it would be nice to know what would fit if I were to come across something in a junkyard.

thanks for the replies. I have found the various options available new. $139.00 seems to be the going price . I will go that route if I have to but I'm not in a big hurry so I just thought it would be nice to know what would fit if I were to come across something in a junkyard.

You'll need one from a Sport Trac. Hitches from anything else won't fit. Given the slim chances of finding a Sport Trac with a hitch in a salvage yard, and the labor involved taking it off with possibly rusted bolts, you might as well buy a new one.

I have a Curt hitch - well made and easy to install. I had it in less than a week after ordering, so they aren't hard to get. This was just a few months ago.

Tip - if they are $139 now, buy before the end of the month! I bought my Trac at Christmas, but wasn't ready to buy a hitch right away when they were $139, and the price went up to $185 (which is the regular price) Jan 1.

Just scored a Curt hitch. Will let you know how the install goes. Been watching Amazon for a while and found a "like new" one for $100 with free shipping.

Latest posts