What is the strongest/best hitch for an '04 trac?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Sayre

Reaction score
Got some cash for fathers day, looking for a hitch rated class III/IV. I'm not looking for a cheap one, I'm looking for the strongest/best hitch around that fits the trac. I'm planning on towing various things, and might get a boat in the future. If I do, I'll probably be somewhere near the capacity of the truck for towing when totally laden down with gear, family, boat, etc. so I want to make sure I get a strong one. Also, plans are for lifting the sport trac up and oversize tires on it at some point, so I want to make sure I'm getting strength in that hitch! What would you get? Are they all pretty much the same? The big ones are Reese, hidden hitch, Curt mfg, and ford factory, any others I should consider? Any bad experiences out there? Thanks for all the help!

--Bob

I have the Ford Hitch. The strongest one will be a classIII/IV. The tow rating of the ST is a little over 5000lb, so the III/IV will do just fine. The reciever size on the hitch will be a 2". A class II hitch will have a smaller reciever(1"??) and a much lower rating.

There's a project on how to install the Ford hitch, which will be about the same for others that are strickly bolt-on hitches.

I just received a Class 3 Hidden Hitch from Hitchmart.com for $129.95 and the ball mount was 19.95 with the pin. There was no shipping charge.

I hate to say it, because I really don't like 'em, but the U-Haul hitch is pretty good.... I had one on my 02 and now have one on my 05. Buy the insurance for $5 and it will be covered for any peril including rust. Installed and out the door for $129. Check their website.

BTW prior to the U-Haul decision to nix the Explorer, folks on this site ranted and raved about the value of the U-Haul hitch.

I just bought one off of ebay for 125.00 it is a class 3.I got it within 4 days of winning.But it was tight to install,but at least I didn't have to worry about it falling off while I was installing it LOL. Ron:D

Thanks everyone, went with a hidden hitch from JC Whitney for $159 plus free shipping for fathers day. I used money from fathers day to cover the cost!

--Bob