What mod first?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric S

Reaction score
just picked up a 2001 last month. what performance mod should i start with? i was thinking of just doing an intake and exhaust. any brands you all would recomend? --- thanks

Hmm. The first thing I did was Intake :) Now Im saving my money to do it all at once. Lift, tires and exaust. But that is just exterior stuff. On the inside I started quick with a new head unit, speakers and DVD screens.

Its nice to start fresh. Dont be affraid of being creative and have fun.

Brands: Pioneer, K&N Intake, Flowmaster, Superlift. There are tons more. Im sure you will get alot of hits on your post.

I agree with Bill-E that you need to do the suspension first. I recommend KYB Monomax shocks all around. Upgraded the front bushings to the '03 & later to the OEM poly bushings, then add the Explorer Express rear anti-sway bar or Roadmaster Active Suspension to the leaf springs. After that do the intake, then the exhaust (most people here have gone with a Flowmaster that suites their sound requirements), and definately do the SCT XCalibrator 2 in order to reprogram your engines computer chip for better performance.

I have an EE intake from www.explorerexpress.com. I also have reflex shocks all the way around. i am going to be running dual flowmaster as well as an xcal 2 right away.

What shocks would you guys recomend? I plan on doin some camping and 4-wheeling this summer. What would be a good all around set up for that?

What intake and exhaust set up do you all have? would it be a waste of time to do the Xcal 2 before doin up my intake and exhaust? --- thanks

4" Superlift suspension, 3" bodylift, 35" tires, and 4.56 gears with a rear ARB air locker. Definitely should be the first thing. :D

Shocks - KYB Monomax or Rancho RSX.

I modified my stock air-box and have an AirRaid drop-in filter.

Magnaflow muffler, single in, dual out to rear exiting twin Magnaflow chrome tips.

Definitely do your intake and exhaust changes before the programmer.

rancho rsx are the same as monroe reflex. I have my monroes and love them. The intake doesnt make a huge difference as far as what brand, we dont have a engine that it would make a huge difference for, but any intake is better than stock. Getiing the xcal2 isnt a waste now, you can just get more out of it if you wait until you get the rest. You can always re-program it later as your change your exhaust etc....

Is the Volant Intake worth the money? i'm not sure i want to spend all that cash on an intake. i was just gonna do a K&N drop in. What do you guys suggest?