What should I tell them (Ford dealer), expect them to do, etc in regards to warranty work on Tranny

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffrey Travis

Reaction score
I have about 1.5 months (or 4500 miles) left on my warranty. I plan on taking it in to check the tranny as I did have a few hickups lately and do not want to just let it lapse.

What should I expect them to check, say, etc? What should be done to make sure the problem is resolved and resolved so it does not happen again?

If they fix it now and the problem returns in 6 months after the warranty expires do they still cover it since it is 'fresh' or 'new' work?

Appreciate any quality feedback.

Thanks -

JT#14

Dealer work is normally warranted for 12 months or 12,000 miles, so that warranty will likely apply on any work they do.

Most likely, tomorrow they will keep your car all day, test drive it for 15 mins and decide they can't duplicate the problem. Make sure you save that invoice, because if it finally dies at 38,000 miles, you have evidence that you had the problem before, but the dealer wasn't able to witness it.

I agree with Nelson about them probably not being able to reproduce it, but the invoice that shows you reporting the problem and them NOT being able to produce it is not "evidence that you had the problem before", I am afraid.

Still worth documenting as described.

TJR

Think you should take them for the test drive Travis. or while driving and it happens drive it straight to the dealer and show them. Why do we have to let the Tech drive it? They can ride and tell the difference as you point it out. (I know somethings they have to drive it)

Only problem is it is very sporadic but the one instance I had early this week sounded horrible - clanking and such. Just feel I am catching it early - does not hurt to get it on their radar.

Again, thanks for the input.

Travis,

Yes, Nelson is correct.

The will likely only test drive you ST and check the condition of the transmission fluid. They may suggest a tranny flush, but if you have already had that done withing the last 20K miles then you probably won't see any improvement. But tell them that it has been flushed, so if another flush does not cure the problem they will have to refund your money. That will not go over big, but it lets them know that you are not going to accept and pay for their wild-ass guesses.

As Nelson said. get all your symptoms documented and keep you receipt as evidence that the problem existed before the warranty expired and they failed to diagnose and fix the problem. You may even want to tell them that in advance to insure they make some effort to check it out throughly.

...Rich

You might try taking it in a couple of times for the same problem to build a problem history. "Cannot duplicate" is tough to argue against because you can't prove they did witness the problem. You can, however, build an evidence trail that suggests that there is an intermittent problem that began during the warranty period.

Might even have a sit-down with the service manager to discuss the 5R55E transmission problem history with respect to the problem you have. Explain that you know there is a trend for this problem (I assume this is the 2-3 flare) and that the seal deteriorates causing poor flow to teh servos, etc. Further explain that, from what you have researched, this is a sign that, before long, the transmission will not function properly, and that don't want to foot the bill for a problem that existed during the warranty period, especially when waiting may cause unnecessary further damage. Blah, blah, blah. You get the point - have a conversation not a bitch session.

I have done this and, with a calm, non-threatening demeanor, have gotten an admission of the problem and what it takes for Ford to not disallow the fix. Got a set of rotors and pads like this.