What should we call the ST "generations"?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich Stern

Reaction score
With the arrival of the 2007 model, we now have two distinct groupings of Sport Tracs. I have to come up with a term for the web site to consistently identify one versus the other, for example, in the projects area.

Should we use "1st Gen" and "2nd Gen"?

Or "2001-2005" and "2007-"?

Any other suggestions? Comments about preference in this matter appreciated.

I say 1st Gen and 2nd Gen, with the years given if needed.

I wouldn't use 1G, 2G, etc, Eclipse guys use that.

If we could come up with an ST unique moniker, that'd be best, I know 'R' uses P251 for the 07+, maybe we could use that and a different applicable number for the 01-05/

I think keeping it simple is best.

We all know about the 01 Job 1's and the Job 2 and newer.

I would call them as they are. 1st Generation and 2nd Generation.

For the most part everyone would know what that means with no further explanation..

Or... even easier... Early body and late body. That will work until the next major change of the Trac.

I think 2001-2005 and 2007-on would be the best option. Many "common" individuals most likely wouldn't recognize the distinction between 1st and 2nd generations. I think there would be some confusion, especially by new members, of what constitutes one generation from another. By using the year numbers, it makes it simple.

On the Model suggestion, I would shy away from this as well, because the Model is an Explorer Sport Trac. Just like when website ask for Year/Make/Model, again confusing to some.

I like 1st Gen, 2nd Gen; cause then you can say 1st Gen '01, etc, etc. I think it flows better to have the gen, then the year. Whatever, I'm sure the newbies will figure it out after a few posts, so I don't think it matters that much.

Just like we do in the R/C world for our batteries...

Gen 1 & Gen 2

I can see it now, a post that goes like this... "How can I get my Foglights to come on with my High beams?" and the 1st reply would be, "is it a Gen 1 or a Gen 2?", if it's a Gen 1 (01-05) Tap off of the qwerty and if it's a Gen 2 (07-??) Tap off of the asdfghj.

Yeah, that's my suggestion too, Gen 1 & Gen 2

Real Trac(solid axel) Sissy Trac(IRS):lol::lol::lol:

i do like the new trac i figure some one here would like my names

Last edited by a moderator:
I Could ask ford tomorrow and see what they are calling them???

Todd Z

I like the idea of calling the 2001-2005 Classics, and the 2007 as the 2nd Generation,

...Rich

1st Gen and 2nd Gen

It has worked well enough over on explorerforum.com. However, our "1st Gens" there are a little different that our 1st Gens here. :)

Whatever goes goes.

I like 1st Gen and 2nd Gen.

so....us old T owners are now OT's? ha ha

Rich,

DP says how about Then and Now
:lol::p:D:) hey? what do you expect from a Dodge owner?! ha ha