what would you suggest ??

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charles Faile

Reaction score
Getting ready to flush my tranny....was debating on going w/ Royal Purple tranny fluid. I just wanted to see what you guys would suggest me to go w/.:cool::banana:

Talking to the folks on a Cadillac web site, Royal Purple is the best and most expensive. They felt that the benefits were not worth the price. However, from everything that I hear about the S/T transmissions it could be cheep insurance.

Your call Ed

Hard to find a place that will use RP. So far, Pep Boys is the only one willing to use it instead of their Pennzoil, but from what I recall, this bumps the flush close to $300!? How much did it cost you Rodger?

My local dealer will do the flush for $120 which is reasonable enough for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing but Ford MercV for me.,...

Todd Z

Assuming that you are going to a shop to have your transmission flushed, you may want to check with them first since many shops are contractually obligated to use a specific brand of oil and fluids, and they are not likely to discount their price because you bring your own fluid. Yes, it's a rip off and you should go somewhere else if that is the case.

I have used a local Kwik-Kar Lube to flush my transmissions and they use a 100 percent synthetic Mercon-V made by Pennzoil. Royal Purple is very good, but it is expensive, and can be difficult to locate in some locations. Remember that the Sport Trac transmission will require 14 quarts of fluid for a proper flush. I prefer a fully synthetic fluid like Pennzoil's or Royal Purple. Ford's Mercon-V is a semi-synthetic which is fine, but synthetics tolerate more heat. Heat and damaged fluid are the enemy of automatic transmissions.

...Rich

Hey thanks guys for the suggestions and tips. I will check w/ the shop that I am going to get it done at to get all the details. I think it is precision tune or something like that. Its where my wifes nephew works. He told me he thought it was around $80 if you use their conventional fluid. Also when I was looking at the Royal purple fluid I noticed all they had was ATF label on the bottle. I didnt see any MercV. Or would that not be on there. I really dont know what the MercV means.. But again thanks for all your tips.....

Latest posts