What's up with USPS????

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rose Medlin

Reaction score
I ordered a Disney movie and it was shipped on 10/2/06 from Jonesville, SC to Sumter, SC...talk about going around your elbow to get to your thumb.:wacko::wacko::blink::blink:

Est. in Home 10/06/2006

Date Time Description Location

October 4, 2006 2:18 AM Enroute GREENSBORO,NC

October 3, 2006 4:00 PM Sortation Center Departure CHARLOTTE, NC

October 3, 2006 12:20 PM Sortation Center Arrival CHARLOTTE, NC

October 3, 2006 5:14 AM Sortation Center Departure MARTINSBURG, WV

October 2, 2006 7:05 PM Sortation Center Arrival MARTINSBURG, WV

October 2, 2006 8:00 AM Pickup JONESVILLE, SC

* indicates data from USPS

That is hillarious but not uncommon. They have certain "sort facilities" that often require the stuff be shipped well away from their destination and then back. Here there is only one sort facility for half the sate and all the mail goes there even mail going to the same town in which it is mailed from. If I put a letter, check, etc in the mail for someone in my same town it gets shipped 100 miles away and then back the next day.

I used to work for UPS at the Boston airport. We used to send stuff to Kentucky to get sorted for the NorthEast area. So stuff for Boston would travel all the way to kentucky and then back to Boston to be delivered. I dont know how its cost effective, but part of it was to keep the plane loaded properly as well. :D

Rose,

It may be a screw up, where someone stuck your package in the wrong bin and it got misrouted. It happens.

About 15 years ago I sent my check to pay my electric bill to downtown Waco, TX. That's about 8 miles away from where I live in Hewitt, TX. When I got my next bill, it indicated that they had not received my payment on time? The date they claimed that they received it was 11 days after I mailed it? I suspected that the Electric company just failed to post the payment to my account until the Cable bill came in and they indicated that they too had received my payment late.

Both payments for the Electric and the Cable bills were mailed on the same day and took 11 days to reach their destinations. When I questioned the local post office as to what happened, they had no explaination??? I stopped mailing anything at the local post office and started taking my mail to Waco's main post office which is only about 5 miles away.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
I rarely have problems with USPS but it happens from time to time.

I still use them because they are more reliable and cheaper on lighter weight packages. They also give free supplies. ;) I don't ship enough to have a company account which other shippers give big discounts.

I can mail a letter within my city and it takes two days to arrive. Apparently, it goes into Seattle and gets sorted and sent back to my city...LOL

Now, I can mail an item in a neighboring city in the AM and it's delivered in the afternoon. Makes no sense.

I track mine just for the fun of it, I literally have seen it go through my home town to go to a distribution center and then back to me... Got to love it...

Maybe it something in the air, check out my ordeal with UPS, I ordered 4 tires from tirerack to be delivered to my local service guy. 5th time getting tires this way, never had a problem before, each tire is a different package:

Tire 1

Shipment Date: Oct 2, 2006

Scheduled Delivery: Oct 3, 2006

Oct 2, 2006 at 09:07 PM ORIGIN SCAN NEWARK, DE

Oct 2, 2006 at 09:43 PM BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

Oct 2, 2006 at 10:42 PM DEPARTURE SCAN NEWARK, DE

Oct 2, 2006 at 11:40 PM ARRIVAL SCAN LAWNSIDE, NJ

Oct 3, 2006 at 12:58 AM LOCATION SCAN LAWNSIDE, NJ

Oct 3, 2006 at 04:27 AM DEPARTURE SCAN LAWNSIDE, NJ

Oct 3, 2006 at 06:17 AM ARRIVAL SCAN PARSIPPANY, NJ

Oct 3, 2006 at 07:23 AM OUT FOR DELIVERY PARSIPPANY, NJ

Oct 3, 2006 at 03:31 PM DELIVERED WAYNE, NJ

Tire 2

Oct 2, 2006 at 09:07 PM ORIGIN SCAN NEWARK, DE

Oct 3, 2006 at 12:51 AM LOCATION SCAN LAWNSIDE, NJ

Oct 3, 2006 at 04:27 AM DEPARTURE SCAN LAWNSIDE, NJ

Oct 3, 2006 at 06:17 AM ARRIVAL SCAN PARSIPPANY, NJ

Oct 3, 2006 at 07:21 AM OUT FOR DELIVERY PARSIPPANY, NJ

Oct 3, 2006 at 09:03 PM THE PACKAGE WAS LEFT IN A UPS FACILITY CAUSING THIS DELAY;DELIVERY RESCHEDULED PARSIPPANY, NJ

Oct 3, 2006 at 09:04 PM DESTINATION SCAN PARSIPPANY, NJ

Oct 4, 2006 at 02:51 PM DELIVERED WAYNE, NJ

Tire 3

Oct 2, 2006 at 09:04 PM ORIGIN SCAN NEWARK, DE

Oct 3, 2006 at 02:02 AM UNLOAD SCAN LAWNSIDE, NJ

Oct 3, 2006 at 03:15 AM LOCATION SCAN LAWNSIDE, NJ

Oct 3, 2006 at 04:30 AM DEPARTURE SCAN LAWNSIDE, NJ

Oct 3, 2006 at 06:28 AM ARRIVAL SCAN PARSIPPANY, NJ

Oct 3, 2006 at 07:10 AM OUT FOR DELIVERY PARSIPPANY, NJ

Oct 3, 2006 at 09:03 PM THE PACKAGE WAS LEFT IN A VEHICLE AND WAS DELAYED IN TRANSIT;DELIVERY RESCHEDULED PARSIPPANY, NJ

Oct 3, 2006 at 09:03 PM DESTINATION SCAN PARSIPPANY, NJ

Oct 4, 2006 at 02:51 PM DELIVERED WAYNE, NJ

Tire 4

Oct 2, 2006 at 09:05 PM ORIGIN SCAN NEWARK, DE

Oct 3, 2006 at 02:02 AM UNLOAD SCAN LAWNSIDE, NJ

Oct 3, 2006 at 03:13 AM LOCATION SCAN LAWNSIDE, NJ

Oct 3, 2006 at 04:30 AM DEPARTURE SCAN LAWNSIDE, NJ

Oct 3, 2006 at 06:28 AM ARRIVAL SCAN PARSIPPANY, NJ

Oct 3, 2006 at 07:09 AM OUT FOR DELIVERY PARSIPPANY, NJ

Oct 3, 2006 at 03:31 PM DELIVERED WAYNE, NJ

All 4 tires made it to the local distribution center together, that's where it all went south. 1 tire got put on the wrong truck, another tire never made it onto a truck!:wacko:

I use USPS Priority Air Mail for all my LeverLift Company shipments and have had fantastic service. Only one delayed delivery complaint in 5 years and that's hundreds of orders.

When I first starting making and selling LeverLifts, I used UPS for two weeks and they lost or damaged nearly half the orders I sent out. USPS is cheaper faster and far more relaiable than UPS for smaller packages under 5 lbs.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
the strangest thing with ordering from tirerack is I have 3 shipping options, ups 1 day, fedex 2day or fedex 3day, ups 1day is the cheapest, go figure

Try DHL.....That will get you a few laughs

My company sent me a few parts via DHL while I was in Toronto working.... was supposed to be overnighted...

Memphis to Toronto via Dayton, OH should take ~14 hours by Air.... but 35 hours by Truck (which is how the package was handled).

DHL's Excuse:

Excuse #1: No broker (resolved by the time the truck arrived in Dayton we find out later)

Excuse #2: Wrong Address (Not the case)

Excuse #3: Missed the plane (Was never put on the plane)

Excuse #4: No customs clearance (See #1)

it went on from there.... finally got the parts 3 days late....

Make the USPS compete and things would improve. They get enough subsidies from Uncle Sam that they don't really have to worry about the ineffieciencies in their system. I have been in more than 30 distribution centers in the last 4 years (USPS, Canada Post, CANPAR, UPS, Wal Mart, etc) to know that the USPS is one fo the most inefficient carriers out there. I'm amazed that they can deliver a package in 3-5 days. Course, UPS or FedEx would deliver the same package in 2-3 days.

I think only 98% of the mail sent via USPS actually gets there. That sounds like a lot when you say 98%, but figure in how much mail that really is and it's way to low of a success rate.

Imagine, mail 100 invitations to your wedding, only 98 get there.

R1ch99999 and R. Shek

Where are you getting your USPS deliver statistics from?

Yes there are more problems with your average USPS First-class mail and their Parcel deliver system and that is caused by the sheer volume of mail. However, If you use the USPS Priority Air Mail service with insurance and Delivery confirmation for packages under about 5 lbs, I would guess that the delivery rate is better than 99.9999% and cheaper too.

You need to consider all the Mail they handle including bulk and first-class mail etc. the other services don't handle that stuff and they charge a lot more. You also have to consider that USPS handles at least 10 times the volume of mail of all the other US delivery services combined.

The USPS Priority Mail service is at least as good as FedEx or any of the other delivery services. While USPS may state delivery times in 3-5 business days, they actually deliver most of my shipments in 2-3 days to anywhere in the continental US, and Alaska and Hawaii only take about a day longer. They are also open on Saturdays, and make deliveries on Saturdays, something the other delivery services charge extra for. I have mailed packages on Saturday morning and my customer's received them on Monday. That's equal to a FedEx or UPS overnight at 3 times the cost of the USPS Priority Mail service.

...Rich

I always use delivery confirmation. Never had a package not make it out of maybe 200 shipped. I did have one take it's time in New Orleans but that was expected. After putting a trace on it, the package got delivered 2 days later.

I've had really bad problems with fedex. Had one package on truck for delivery to me on Monday. They roll through my neighborhood everyday around the same time. Every night the status was updated to the next day for delivery. Finally got the package on Friday. I've also had a package go from the east coast through Seattle to get to GA. Took 2 weeks. Out of 5 deliveries, 3 have went bad.

Latest posts