Whats with these Performance Chips?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaun Tucker

Reaction score
When I search "sport trac" on ebay, one of the most popular listings is for these inexpensive mods that claim to add 50 HP and 15 MPG.

I have to admit my curiosity is peeked, although I'm not considering buying one. Can anyone explain to me IF / HOW they work? The ebay discription doesn't exactly explain anything.

Up to 15 MPG - improved fuel efficiency

50+ horsepower

50+ FT/LB of torque

Improved acceleration

Smoother throttle response through RPMs

Improved top end power

Smoother shifting

Better low end torque

Improved towing capacity

Smoother power throughout the powerband

Extends the life of engine spark plugs

Extends the life of engine oil

Extends the life of engine belts

Improved engine performance extends the time between costly engine tune-ups and check-ups.

In the early 90s the entire automotive industry moved in a new direction - moving away from carburetion as a method fuel delivery to start manufacturing fuel injected vehicles. With the advent of fuel injection came new challenges. How could we create new products for this new technology that would benefit both the average consumer - by increasing fuel economy; and the car enthusiast by increasing performance. We set out to design a performance chip that would improve performance and fuel efficiency simultaneously, and do all of this at an affordable price point.

The only way we could do this was to modify the most easily modified part of any vehicle the engine computer or ECU. By altering certain inputs and outputs we could adjust the vehicles air/fuel ratio to maximize performance and fuel economy simultaneously. At first our testing demonstrated either a lean or rich mixture depending on whether we adjusted the inputs for performance or fuel economy. Adjusting for improved fuel economy would cause a lean mixture while adjusting for performance would cause a rich mixture. But after extensive testing and research we have found a perfect balance in which both performance and fuel economy is maximized at stoichiometric levels. This means the engine is neither wasting fuel, nor is the engine starving for fuel at all times. The ECU dynamically adjusts based on unique inputs. Based on these inputs, the ECU can now adjust to the users driving style to maximize both performance and fuel economy simultaneously.

We are so confident that you will be completely satisfied with the results that we are offering a 100% money back guarantee. If you do not see an immediate change in fuel economy and performance you may return the module for a full refund.

Please note that the current eBay price is an introductory price set so that we can introduce our product to the eBay marketplace at a competitive price point.

Almost all of the ebay performance chips and other items are JUNK...

Lots of info on this site for the good ones.

Xcal

All that does is "trick" your computer into thinking it is colder then it is out and it rich-ens the fuel mix.....

They don't work, the 02 sensor will lean it Right back to stoic and if it does not and you run that rich in the warm temps, you will wash rings and damage the motor..

Todd Z

Nawwww, they're not junk. Slap one of these, a Tornado Fuel Saver, and a throttle body spacer on your Trac for a guaranteed 100hp gain!:lol::p:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Essentially, it is nothing more than a resister that is installed inline of the intake temp sensor. Your engine "thinks" the air is colder than it actually is.

The resistor costs about a dime. It is a scam and doesn't work, but if you (not you directly, but as any person) do this mod, you are going to convince yourself that it is working, therefore it does "work".

It is like gimmick plugs. We think they work because we paid a premium price for them and the box said it works.

Tom

Andy- (TrainTrac) Are YOU guaranteeing 100 More HP? How many HP for the chip alone? :lol:

Wouldn't use that POS if THEY paid ME to. "Chip" is another four letter word. (Like sh**, crap, do do, etc.)

P.T. Barnum said it best, "There's a sucker born every minute". :huh: Huh?

Last edited by a moderator: