Which intake, Volant or MAC?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Cloutier

Reaction score
I am planning on getting an intake kit, and am considering both the Volant and MAC systems. Right now I am leaning towards the Volant, but I'd like to get some feedback on other people's experience with these intakes.

Another question for Volant owners - where did you buy your intakes? I'm looking for a reputable seller.

-Thanks

I got a Volant. I love the look. To me it is a lot cleaner. The only problemis the cover. It warped when i was teaching my wife to park. (low speed, 99 degree temp)

I have a MAC (cleaning the filter now) and I got it from Explorer Express. Not sure if they are still in business. I love the MAC. Good price and looks great.

Tommy

HELLO EVERYONE,

I JUST ORDERED THE MAC INTAKE. FOR ALL OF YOU EXPECTING TO PAY $149.00, BE PREPAIRED TO PAY $159.00. PATTY, THE OWNERS WIFE ADVISED ME THAT THERE HAS BEEN A $10.00 INCREASE IN THE PRICE.:(:(:(

TERRY

Yeah, seems like everything on EE's web site has had a price increase in $10 that they don't tell you about til after you order. I ordered my JBA cables 2 weeks ago, got a phone call after I paid that they had gone up in price, and of course by this time, it was too late to order them from somewhere else so they'd arrive before the meet. Personally I don't think it's very professional, I mean, they only have like 20 products. It would take maybe an hour to get everything updated again...maybe...

Oh, and I like the Volant.

[Broken External Image]:

Todd, I've had my Volant for about a year and a half now. Only complaint is that when I ordered they sent me a Job 1 intake. That was then first came out for the Sport Tracs. I'm sure they've figured it out now so that doesnt happen again.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Volant is the cleanest looking of them all IMO. I've had mine for about a year and a half and it has performed without a problem. I've never heard or seen the warping issue. As JK2 mentions, make sure you get the right part# for the Trac. I don't know if Volant has got the numbers right by now, but back then I had to order under a Ranger part#. 19540 I think it was.

One gripe I do have is the Volant unit is secured only by the throttle body connection at one end and via the vacuum tube at the other (immediately after the box). The box itself does not mount or sit flush into anything (it sort of just 'floats' in place). The only issue this has caused is the box rubbing on metal in front of it. No major damage, just some chaffing on the plastic. I've never heard it bumping around nor has anything come loose. Otherwise I'm very satisfied with the Volant. The only other gripe is how hard it was to remove the stock airbox (although others have claimed little difficulty with theirs).

edit: I just remembered, my kit was missing a couple of hose clamps but fortunately the stock ones fit nicely. Volant sent me the missing parts after a few days (but I've yet to install them).

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
I got mine from a local Detail place I deal with. Automobilia If you want me to check a price let me know or you can call them: 203-795-3998 Ask for Alex. and let him know I sent you.

I paid a little bit more then normal.. but I wanted instant Gratification. and he had it.