Which is truly the Best Spark Plug For a 2nd Gen 2007 Explorer Sport Trac 4.0 V6?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yoyojoejoes

Reaction score
Alright I've heard many mixed opinions on this and want to hammer down the best option. Which is truly the best spark plug for this engine?
2007 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4.0 V6

I just did a replacement of spark plugs With Bosh Double iridium (I know now they are not the greatest for these engines) thinking I wouldn't have to worry about it, but when I installed them I mistakingly broke one of the end of the plugs(Plug 6) leading to misfire and replaced the plug with a Cheap Motorcraft one now it runs fine, but it'll sometimes feel like a slight misfire or something is wrong with the idle and it will happen only on slight occurrences. I'm currently getting a new throttle body (Zabtek)
and coil pack (Blue streak) and I've already installed new spark plug wires and cleaned my Current MAF and throttle body and have a KN air filter . I Also have all brand new upper and lower O2 sensors so that can't defiantly be it.

the only thing it think it could be is either the 1 Motorcraft spark plug not mixing well with the Bosh or the coil pack(which I'm gonna replace)

so either way Im gonna want to get all new spark plugs and can't make a proper decision which spark plugs to get so here are some options I've come up with:
I would like to get iridium because I've been told they are the longest reliable spark plug but correct me if that just advertising

What I'm looking to get is Mainly gas milage, and of course a little performance in case I have to try and pass someone in my lil V6

Attachments

• 1646175148909.png
    1646175148909.png
    4.9 KB · Views: 123
Now I've heard a lot of people live by Motorcraft on their Sport Trac, but I'm one to see if there are longer lasting and better preforming options and Im open to all recommendations

I'm just looking for the best option off this list and if anyone has any experience with any of these plugs, or even if there is a better plug out there I haven't listed please let me know
Thanks for Helping me out

Dalton

and please if you can share any experiences you've had with any spark plugs for this engine it would help to truly decide which one would be best Thank you.

Thanks! So OEM Motorcraft can go the 100,000? That’s great news cause I was looking for a spark plug lasting longer then 50,000( thats what I thought the OEM Lasted). Then you can’t possibly go wrong with OEM, but from other perspectives it’s said the NGK has the best performance and mpg, but I’m not sure if that’s just Hype or advertising you know?

Could you go wrong with NGK? or is it just an up selled Motorcraft?

NGK is preferred in the Japanese cars like Nissan/Infiniti. They are good plugs and it depends on cost difference.

yeah the NGKs I was looking at compared to the Motorcraft are double in price running about $8 for NGK While the Mother craft is running $4 a plug

So am I getting anything for extra the cost at all?

DONT let your plugs go 100K.... Change them ever 60 and on the 4.0 change your wires EVERY plug change.... you will be amazed how well it will run.
Adding performance parts make it a MUST you follow strict maintenance protocols or you will have issues...

i can tell you that my issues only started once i changed plugs and coil packs on a perfect running truck, doing a 70k maintenance on my ford excursion, a v 10. starting missing and was a pain to figure which cyl was issue, used after market coils and ending up just going back to stock parts and issue gone. i changed my plugs on sport trac at 50k and went bosch and have had no issues nor better performance, i will be changing them back to oem very soon. i now have 60k on trac so 10k with no issues,,yet,, but again changing very soon to oem.

It truly seems OEM Motorcraft spark plugs is the way to go on this Engine!

So I'm currently running with a KN air filter, Zabteck throttle body, 5 BOSH iridium spark plugs, 1 Motorcraft,
and a OmniSpark Spark Plug Wire Set 9611 ( brand new from Oreilys),
and I have a new coil pack on the way(Blue Streak from rock auto), but I might return it

the rest of my engine bay is OEM

I just took for a smooth cruise yesterday(Mixed city and highway driving) and got about 17MPG average(but I did get that weird misfire feeling thing I brought up earlier)

So here is my plan I'll get and install all new OEM/Motorcraft spark plugs, Keep my OEM coil pack, Keep the Zabteck and KN filter, and see how it runs

Now Im not sure if I wanna Keep the OmniSpark Spark Plug Wire Set cause I'm still not sure if that causing the issue or not?,but I'll see if changing the plugs fixes That issue first

Any recommendations on spark plug Wires or is OmniSpark a decent option?

my son bought a Subaru WRX which had a K&N air filter. After researching I replaced it with stock filter. The K&N may get a marginal increase in power, at the cost of potential contamination of the air inflow.. not worth it I think.

Replaced plugs and wires at 100k with NGK Iridium IX and Denso wires, improved idling and running, still going well at 155k. Average 19-20mpg in summer, 16-17 winter, and can get 21-22mpg at 65mph freeway when not hauling canoes around.

My reasoning is, the price difference between NGK and cheaper plugs isn't much, adds up to under $30, for a job I'll only need to do every 100k with good plugs. As painful as it is to replace these plugs, I'm willing to pay a few dollars more to make sure I won't have to do that job too often..

I run Motorcraft wires and plugs. Never had issues.

Alright Ive decided to go OEM Motorcraft on the plugs seems to be the best bet for the 4.0 2nd gen Sport trac
I am gonna replace them as soon as they come in the mail

and about the KN filter Im open to preferred suggestions on which would be a better alternative to it( looking for best gas milage and protection)

Im overwhelmed with all your guys helpful, thoughtful, input and experience you have all given to help me come to the final conclusion.

that OEM Motorcraft is truly the best Spark plug 4.0 SOHC! (and cheapest too haha)

Thanks a million
-Dalton

DONT let your plugs go 100K.... Change them ever 60 and on the 4.0 change your wires EVERY plug change.... you will be amazed how well it will run.
Adding performance parts make it a MUST you follow strict maintenance protocols or you will have issues...
Lots of info on spark plugs….reminds me of pot in the the 60s….everybody’s got the best….I have never changed spark plugs in my life….on my S/T s and I have six all over 200k…. They might have been changed….before I got them. But I never changed then unless I had the engine rebuilt and then them irrium plugs…cause I know I’m not ever changing them….
Ain’t going to be here in twenty anyhow….so who cares….
All trucks run good …..didn’t change wires either..except one that shortened out…..but that’s me…. It’s just a truck and I drive me…do Change syn Oil
Every 3 k Walmart cheap stuff

Alright I have put the OEM spark plugs and I have for a driven over a mouth now engine sounds great, but still hasn't resolved my weird idle issue Ive made sure to space the Spark Plug Gaping for my 2007 sport Trac in the range .052-.056in for for my 2007 V6 sport Trac.
I haven't noticed a major difference gas milage but I'm now sure that my problem with the weird idle issue is no longer in the engine bay I know this because I have checked for vacuum leaks none and I cleaned all air intake systems, Throttle Body, MAF, and I'm still rocking K and N air filter but that shouldn't be effecting the issue

I'm goin to look in the the computer and O2 sensors cause I'm stilling having the engine light "o2 sensor heater core" but that shouldn't effect idle id think but other than that works just fine and sounds great!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-28 at 5.33.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-28 at 5.33.26 PM.png
    575.6 KB · Views: 29
Try putting the OEM coil back on.

If your 02 sensors are not being heated by the exhaust they need the heater circuit to warm up to properly maintain at idle and low rpm driving.... the computer goes into limp and other modes when a CEL is present. Fix that first and stop throwing parts at it.

Alright I've heard many mixed opinions on this and want to hammer down the best option. Which is truly the best spark plug for this engine?
2007 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4.0 V6

I just did a replacement of spark plugs With Bosh Double iridium (I know now they are not the greatest for these engines) thinking I wouldn't have to worry about it, but when I installed them I mistakingly broke one of the end of the plugs(Plug 6) leading to misfire and replaced the plug with a Cheap Motorcraft one now it runs fine, but it'll sometimes feel like a slight misfire or something is wrong with the idle and it will happen only on slight occurrences. I'm currently getting a new throttle body (Zabtek)
and coil pack (Blue streak) and I've already installed new spark plug wires and cleaned my Current MAF and throttle body and have a KN air filter . I Also have all brand new upper and lower O2 sensors so that can't defiantly be it.

the only thing it think it could be is either the 1 Motorcraft spark plug not mixing well with the Bosh or the coil pack(which I'm gonna replace)

so either way Im gonna want to get all new spark plugs and can't make a proper decision which spark plugs to get so here are some options I've come up with:
I would like to get iridium because I've been told they are the longest reliable spark plug but correct me if that just advertising

What I'm looking to get is Mainly gas milage, and of course a little performance in case I have to try and pass someone in my lil V6
My 2008 Sport Trac 4.0 V6 went 115,000 on Motorcraft OEM spark plugs. Just replaced them with OEM AGSF24N. $2.99 each at O'Reilly Auto Parts.