Whistle

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rod Helstad

Reaction score
Whenever I start my 08 v8 when it is cold, there is a very annoying whistle coming from the engine compartment. The only day that it did not do this was when I dropped it off at the dealership the night before to have it checked (murphys law). It sounds more like a vacuum leak to me. I have turned off the heat/ac to try to figure out if it was tha ac compressor, but it still happens. It only will do this for about the first 5 minutes, then quits when the engine is warm. I even put the original air filter back in thinking it was the additional air flow through the K&N, but it is still the same.

I have another appt. for Thursday AM and will leave it outside at the shop so it is cold. Any suggestions?????

Rod

The first gen STs had this problem. Mine used to do it when it was really cold (below 20 degs F) and before it warmed up. It whined as I accellerated. I was told by others here and through TSB that it was the alternator.

My dealer wouldn't replace mine because they couldn't reproduce. It only happened maybe 3 times the entire 3 years I had my ST.

My suggestion: Try to find the TSB #, text, and bring that in. Sometimes that helps them, but often they have to reproduce in order to fix.

TJR