whistling noise

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jo Wainwright

Reaction score
I hear a faint whistling noise when my rpm's go above 2. When the transmission shifts (which is smooth), then I don't hear it anylonger. Mine is and 02 w/4wd. Anybody else hear this?

Thanks,

Jo

It might be the known 1st & 2nd gear whine, if you lower the rear window is it more apparent?

It can also be heard when stopping and the trans mission downshifts to 2nd & 1st.

I have this noise, and I've gotten used to it, it is harmless. There was a TSB to fix it, and I think some one here had it doen, but there is no guarantee the whine won't return after the service. If it doesn't bother you and the transmission has no problem, why mess with it?

Keep your transmission serviced regularly (flush every 30k)

OR, you are referring to a noise coming from the FRONT of the ST?

If so, it shows up at around 2500 rpm, it's the timimg belt I think, and there's also a TSB for it, some members have also had it fixed by the dealer.

You don't have a cold air intake do you?

If not, also check all your intake hoses, airbox, etc. A leak in your intake somewhere can whistle too.

It seems to be the transmission. Yes, I can "live" with the noise. Was just wondering if anyone else hears this. I have only had it a couple of months and bought it with a lot of miles on it, but it sure seems to run nice and not a blemish on it. Love the 4 wheel drive. Got myself into a "Knee Deep" in snow predicament, and was able to put it in 4 wd and with a couple of tries get back out.

Thanks,

Jo

I just started hearng the same noise on my 2001 (58K miles) as it's gotten cold lately. Goes away as the engine warms up.

I agree, it sounds like a transmission whistle around 2K RPM, and mostly when it's cold. I'm going to watch and see if it changes, then decide what to do.

FYI: my transmission fluid has been replaced twice.