WHO HAS THE WORST POTHOLES / STREETS

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dre L

Reaction score
Can't resist starting a competition.

I vote for my hometown NYC, and the poorer the neighborhood, the more you fear the pavement. I lost a wheel on a Chevy.

NYC Comptroller Blasts DOT Pothole Fiasco

50% of NYC streets are unacceptably potholed

Last week, NYC Comptroller William Thompson blasted the DOT's failure to fix potholes, maintain smooth streets and monitor contractors [ read T.A.'s June 2002 E-Bulletin "Streets in Shambles"]. Citywide, it took the DOT an average of 57 days to repair potholes, though it took an average of 98 days in The Bronx and 73 days in Brooklyn. The audit revealed that 34% of the pothole repairs assigned had already been completed and 30% of repaired potholes were not recorded. According to Thompson the DOT "does not have adequate measures in place to ensure that potholes are repaired in an efficient and timely manner."

It's no surprise that the Fund for the City of New York's study "How Smooth are New York City Streets" found that half of the city's streets unacceptably potholed and hazard riddled. In contrast, the Mayor's Management Report rated 0.5% of streets in 'poor' condition.

Got to vote Missouri as a whole. Or as a hole.

The bridges were ranked next to last, 49 out of 50, in condition.

Driving on the interstate is like driving across the surface of the moon. Crater after crater.

The Hawk:cool:

Houston used to be really bad. Commerce street downtown used to be so bad that I had to wear my seat belt in my 3/4 ton Chevy just to keep from knocking myself out on the steel roof! They've redone all of it since then, so it's not so bad anymore.

I drove the length of I-44 yesterday, and Missouri has made huge improvements this summer. I found I-64 in southerm Illinois worse.

The worst road I have been on in the US is the Bluegrass Parkway about three years ago. It had some huge potholes. I guess the State of Kentucky can't afford to maintain it anymore, since they stopped collecting tolls about ten years ago.

Second place goes to I-240, east of I-35 in OKC. The concrete slabs have some sort of defect at the joints, and they would deliver a bone-shaking thud at every seam. They have been making some band-aid repairs this summer, but that road needs to be redone. The contractor that put this road together a few years ago should have their construction license revoked. I drove on cobblestone highways in Europe that had a more pleasant ride. :blink:

The worst roads I've driven on outside of the US have to be in southeastern Turkey. Many of them are deteriorated to the point that they are mostly mud in the winter. Even the good ones have unexpected hazards, such a missing manhole covers. Typically they'll mark these areas with large stones -- I guess the logic is that the stones can be seen from a greater distance. In either case, if you hit the stone, manhole or huge pothole, you'll do some major damage. I saw a manhole rip the wheel completely off of a car once. :eek:

PA, home of the quad-axle PennDOT salt truck. "We'll salt it till it's empty." :)

Although PennDOT does a fairly decent job of reconstruction, nothing is worse than in the Spring when the snow melts and the scars of many plows that had their blades too low show up. However, I can't say they don't keep the roads passable when the snow gets heavy.

[Broken External Image]:

HAHAHA, I just drove through PA on I-78 this weekend saying how nice and smooth it was, yet I wouldn't want to drive it when it was iced over. Serious mountainous highway there.

I did drive around Mt. Pocono 2 different winters, nice ice there. Once in a Malibu, the other time in the Trac. Much rather have the Trac, it doesn't like Winter, but it sure stands up to it well, better than any other vehicle I've had.

I did notice something interesting on a bridge span, "automatic spray de-icers" buried in the pavement. I wonder what they look like when they're on, tar with fountains?

You should see Eisenhour tunnel or Vail Pass on I-70 in the Winter in Colorado.

Here is a summer photo from the western side of Eisenhower Tunnel:

[Broken External Image]:

I think they should have a clean underwear dispenser at the base of that runaway truck ramp, because I know it would come in handy after a ride down that pass with no brakes. :lol:

I think they should have a clean underwear dispenser at the base of that runaway truck ramp

:lol::lol::lol:

Charleston SC roads are ROUGH!

Like this? :lol:

6a8d08376ad14b65fd12ac541e601a4d.jpg

532633f0a4bb2f2977fb411688ca1602.jpg

Bakersfield, California has many of the crappiest, hole-ridden streets I have ever had the displeasure of driving on.

That's not a runaway truck ramp, that's a launch pad. I've never seen one go that high before.

Norhern BC, Oil Field roads. Not as Bad as some areas discribed, but I've gotten stuck in the middle of the road after a spring rain. Roads are best in Winter whenall the holes fill with ice and the road is frozen solid.:)

second the Los Angeles...

jzt got my procomp es9000 and rear sway bar installed today...hope it will help...

Latest posts