who is the a/c expert?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gerald Pierce

Reaction score
My 93 mustang LX 4cy a/c crapped out yesterday. It appears the clutch is not engaging fully so the compressor is barely spinning. It was working fine earlier that day.

Is this an r-12 system or r-134? What is a ball park to swap over to 134 if this is an r12 system? I can probably get a u-pull compressor, but not sure what else is involved.

Really sucks, just spent 1200 on the tranny, now the a/c and I am relocating to FL in a week.

Good thing is I am taking the ST with me to FL, bad thing is daughter just got her license and wants a/c in the mustang......

if you were in houston ,i could help you out.sounds like the drive plate is worn out,check it with a feeler guage , it should be around .015. look at the fittings some mustangs came out with 134a in the early 90's. if the fittings have threads on them then its r-12.you can replace the front clutch assembly . any other question:)s ,feel free to ask.

i been in the industry 28 years. the mustang is an r134a system, 91-92 was changeover years. i beleive. their should be a sticker on the radiator support stating the refrigerant. Either your clutch is bad, or something in your compressor is not wanting to turn. you can buy replacment clutches, but you may want to get one out of the salvage yard. HTH