Why its hard to lower an 07+ ST

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Kulbaba

Reaction score
Thought while I was changing my wheels today I'd snap this pic that I haven't seen anyone else expose.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
The axle shaft coming through the frame limits your suspension travel. Your axle appears to be at full droop in the pic, when you put weight on it, the shaft will be much closer to the top of the opening in the frame. By shortening the springs, you'll constantly be riding with the axle shaft very close to the frame and will have no compression left in your suspension to absorb the bumps of the road due to the bumpstops you'll need to prevent the shaft from hitting the frame.

My final resting height with the Calhoun-Perf springs gave me a little more than a 1.25 drop!

Here are pics of the TRAC right after the install before teh sag.

DIRTY TRAC I KNOW!

[Broken External Image]:

I will take a pic of the half-shafts through the frame this weekend.

I can tell you that there is a noticeable drop with these springs and the ride quality is great...once I get the ADDCO front and rear sway bars on it should handle the corners really well!

Last edited by a moderator:
Now with the wheels im really considering the springs... I just cant wait much longer for someone to come out with something else ;)

xst said:
Now with the wheels im really considering the springs... I just cant wait much longer for someone to come out with something else

yeah, aftermarket wheels and tires tend to attract your eyes to that part of the trac. Teh wheel gap is unbearable once changing wheels I think!

DO IT!!!!

mine would look like that if I didnt live in Ontario, where they dump 10 tons of Salt and sand on the road all winter long.

:angry::angry:

It looks like a little fab work and you could go lower. Notch the frame where the axle opening is and then extend and relocate the upper control arm mount.

YOu are also forgettign about the bump stops on the Struts!

Our struts are not made to lower...and there are NO aftermarket ones available. There are not even any replacement ones unless you get OEM from FORD!

Then take off the struts and place them in a trash can, and get some coilovers. It can be done but it will take some work, and will void the warranty.

I'll wait until this thing has 0 warranty left before I even think about major suspension mods like notching the frame.

It would be really cool to be able to gain 3 inches+ in clearence or drop at the flip of a switch! I would love that. I'm not a lowrider, hydrolics junky or anything but being able to somewhow change the clearence depending on my environment would be pretty cool.