Wierd Engine Noises.... Help!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Kulbaba

Reaction score
I noticed I have a squeel that comes from under the vehicle... and today when I was waiting for a coffee at a drive thru I notices it comes and goes...

When you have the ST running everyone once in a while you get that CLICK sound, and seems like something is starting up, and then seems to idle down a bit, till the next click... what is this noise? and how could it affect something in a squeeling noise? It seems as tho when it clicks it stops squeeling for a minute, then it starts again?

Any ideas?

The "click" is probably the AC compressor. It cycles on and off when the vent selector is in any position except - Off, Floor (only) and Vent (only). Kind of weird, but that's how it works.

Squeal? Maybe the serpentine belt?

That was what I was thinking right away, check or change your belt. You can do that yourself if you are mechanically inclined

Or declined,,, hehe

Don Monkeyboy

SIDE NOTE ...........94 Days till Louisville 5th annual ST Meet

Fuel Pump?

Transmission? I think the sound, sounds like its coming from the tranny, but dunno why that would change due to the ac compressor?

May be one of the pulleys. I had the same problem with a squeal. Ford changed 2 pulleys it went away.

The clicking is the ac compressor.

C

Bad belt tensioner and belt. Period !!!

The ac clicks on, places a load on the engine, the belt stretches, the tensioner is too weak to take up slack causing belt to slip, then this slip causes the belt to make noise...

Todd Z

Todd,

could it be the AC Compressor bearing or clutch/pulley?? I've never looked at a modern compressor - are they triggered/clutched the same as 20 years ago?

grump

Try a belt dressing to verify that the noise is from the belt slipping. In all probability it is causing the noise. The belt has a negative coefficient of expansion, that's why a cold belt sqeels and the same belt when warm may not.

Grumpy, basically the same, the ones now have more rubber and more play in them so they don't abuse the compressor as much...

But the ST is soooo know for the tensioner and such, I even put a slightly smaller belt on my stock setup for a while and it took care of it, the stock belt is too long and the tensioner is not loaded properly..He probably could get away with a smaller belt alone, but the tensioner is a piece of mind..

Todd Z