will barely run an blows black smoke an smells like rotten eggs

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike moore

Reaction score
got in my trac this eve. went 2 start it up an it would barely even run, its blowing out black smoke an smells like rotten eggs. it ran fine this mor. when i parked it for work. i was thinking that the fuel pressure regulator may be messed up. any one had a problem like this?

I am no mechanic but I believe the rotten egg/sulphur smell is produced when the catalytic converter fails. Could something (critter) have crawled into the exhaust or the exhaust be damaged in some way?

I had the same thing happen when I was parked on a hill.... Did it only one time and went away...

I say try cleaning the IAC valve....

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
For what ever reason, sounds like you were getting WAY too much fuel.

The smell is a result of the converter trying to do it's job. Normally, the converter does not produce this odor on it's own. It is a result of another issue in most cases.

One of a few ways to test the converter is to test the PSI in front of the converter, or... since you probably do not have the proper stuff to do so, simply disconnect the converter and see what happens.

I am betting that there will be no change if you disconnect the converter. They do not fail spontaneously, they take time to get plugged.

I am hoping that your PCM simply was in a "Glitch" mode and was telling the injectors to stay open too long.

Kirt see the link below...

Todd Z

thanx todd very helpfull. how long did it take for yours to clear up ? u said it only done it once. did u just go back to it later an try it an it done ok?

I shut off the truck, and 5 min later started it and IT was fine.... But I wrote the IAC project that day and it has not done it since..

Todd Z

Todd, I had a similar problem with an older Explorer & it was the fuel press regulator. It started turning on my CEL & the gas mileage went down to 10 mpg. Good luck

Latest posts