will it work?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chad linkhart

Reaction score
looking at buying a second motor that im going to rebuild. I found a ton of the mustang 3v's cheaper than ours. Are the mount points the same? I know its also aluminum and will have different accessories brackets and such but i can swap my current accessories out.

Good question, and although I don't have an answer curious minds want to know...

I've daydreamed about putting a 5.0 in my 2007 STrac but see a few major obstacles areas in any type of engine swap nowadays.

After the mechanical part (alignment, transmission mount, driveshaft) I would think that the engine related electronics would be an issue (ECU, ABS, etc...). The donor parts could be brought over, but seeing how many sensors and software parameters there are this would be a major project in itself. A 4.6 should work but there's are a lot of variations even within the various Ford engine lines.

I used to do this type of swap back when carburetors still ruled the land but anything is possible, even when experts say it isn't.

Good luck!

Steve

I don't think there will be any major differences other than the fact that the Mustang blocks are aluminum while ours are cast iron.

Not sure which 3V heads you have but I would recommend that if your current engine is an early 2008 with two-piece spark plugs then I would be looking for a 2009 or 2010 engine as those would have heads with the later combustion chambers and use the one-piece plugs.

bambam, there is another option that doesn't involve a lot of electronic issues and should provide a substantial power boost:

i'm hoping to verify mount points are the same. the weight savings forged internals dob gt450 kit will a smaller pulley bigger injectors and supporting mods im hoping to hit 600rwhp and shoot for 11s. if i dont hit 11s its going to get some giggle gas to. good reason to have a second motor lol.

i'm hoping to verify mount points are the same. the weight savings forged internals dob gt450 kit will a smaller pulley bigger injectors and supporting mods im hoping to hit 600rwhp and shoot for 11s. if i dont hit 11s its going to get some giggle gas to. good reason to have a second motor lol.

Thought of an engine swap, the 5.0 isn't worthy to me. I would rather the blasphemy of fitting a LS-6 and stand alone ECUs/harness. Can't believe I just typed that

if i were to do an actual swap and not try to build basically what i have i'd do a 6.0 ls. no shame in it for me. i'm not biased to any brand i'm an enthusiast. ive had ford dodge chevy Mercedes gmc pontiac and the list goes on. each have thier high points each has there lows. i like the looks of my sta more than any 08 truck. but the ls motor for what i want to do would be much cheaper to mod and make a lot more power. the benz was great on my 120mi round trip daily commute for work but when you services are 1500+ it gets to be big $$ fast. the suede interior was awesome though lol. dodge has the cummins which is the cream of the crop for making power in a diesel. my next car ive been keeping a eye on is a z06 stingray or a gtr. ive also contacted vaydor enterprise about having one of those built check those out kit car yes but DANG they look amazing and the fact that a twin turbo ls3 is a engine option o yea.

Latest posts