Windows Update error

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard L

Reaction score
We had a bout a half dozen PC's that choked on the Windows Update that was released about 1:30 this morning.

The PC's could connect to the Internet, but could not access any of our servers, or any software that accessed our servers. We would get a Windows Generic Host Service error (Win32 Service). Microsoft indicated that and error occurred during the update.

Attempts to install the update continued to fail. The only choice was to roll back(Restore) the PC to Monday's last good check point.

Has anyone else had this problem today where you work. That's the first time we encounterd this problem with any Windows Update, especially on so many PC's.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Both of my computers received Windows updates in the past two weeks and have been screwed up and slow ever since. I get blue screen errors on one and a lot of requests for error reports on the the other. Mine is real slow and both won't let me restore back past a week.

I've had IBM compatables since the mid to late 80's and Apples are sounding better. Could any other system be any more F'd up?

Maybe I'll just get rid of computers altogether as a New Years resolution. Start 2008 out right.

Gary
:(

Rich,

Haven't had the problem at work - I shut down Automatic Windows Updates, and the ability for network users to use Windows Update, using an Active Directory group policy. We push updates after we're done testing them. In a smaller environment, this can be done with a local group policy.

That said, my wife's Acer laptop kept getting a DLL misplaced error. I looked it up and found out that a recent Windows update had moved the DLL file for the RealTek audio system. A follow-on update from Microsoft a few days later fixed what the first update broke.

geez

Yep, me too.

Auto update installed something last week. Got the "Install Updates Now?" message when turning off, so I let it install. Next morning, turned it on and got"RTHDCPL.exe

Error, DLL user 32 dll. Illegaly Relocated in Memory in a Place Reserved for Windows

DLL's Only" or something like that! Would not let me do a restore point, either!

So what is that all about?:unsure:

tracnblack,

That's exactly the error my wife's laptop was getting. See linky below for the fix. I just downloaded the new patch (method 2) and installed it.

I do the exact same thing as kefguy, the only updates we allow through are critical updates, otherwise we test everything in a controlled environment before we release them to our 400 users.

kefguy,

Update Patch installed, error fixed! Thanks!:D

I now notice my RealTek Audio icon back in my toolbar.

Been gone for a week!

Is it just me, or has this been happening a lot since since the release of VISTA. I was having problems after almost every update. I turned off the Auto Update and do so manually now. My XP was very stable until recently.

The last update I received, was something about Microsoft Authenticating its products.

I chose not install this update. (I do expert install)

I wonder if it is the same one....

I have every update except the authentication one and I'm having no problems. It's a legit CD and already registered, but I choose not to install this particular update because of issues some others have been having with their legit CDs/installation.

We just restored the systems back to their previous checkpoint taken Monday morning about 7:30am.

I had another Laptop came in today with the exact same Win32 Service error, and I had to restore him back to last Friday.

We have naot had any problems with Automatic Windows updates. And for the most part, several hundred PC'swe have, accepted the updates just fine. Why just 6-7 PC's choked on the update is odd?

Hopefully today will be the last of this issue for a while.

...Rich

TracNJack,

We're not running WSUS yet, but we're going to take a look at it. It's free, and it supposedly works better than previous versions. Right now, we're using an app we purchased from Shavlik that has the same capabilities, but we don't want to pay for the annual license anymore. We're also in the process of adding SMS, which will help us big time in managing the entire enterprise. So far, it's looking very good.