windscreen problem

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug Kaye

1st gen V6 4x2
Supporting Member
1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
2 wheel drive
Reaction score
weird problem - tried to get my windscreen replaced. The paint has come off the bodywork just above the screen seal. There is some surface discoloration but no actual corrosion or rust flakes that I can see. But they refused to replace my windscreen, said there was too much rust to get a good seal. Now I'm a bit baffled.. that was a reputable glass firm, maybe I just need to find a fly-by-night firm that will do it regardless..
The nice Jamaican guy suggested taking it to a body shop, I'm a bit alarmed by what that will probably cost.
Anyone dealt with this before ?

What is a windscreen?

If you are talking windshield, i have never heard of that before. had mine replaced a few times.

If there's rust in the area during replacement, they won't replace it because you'll come back later bitching about a leak in the new windshield

sorry, I guess windscreen is English for windshield..
I do ok on hood/bonnet and trunk/boot, still working on it though

I'd rather have a leaky windshield than one disintegrating at 70mph because of all the cracks..

sorry, I guess windscreen is English for windshield..
I do ok on hood/bonnet and trunk/boot, still working on it though

I'd rather have a leaky windshield than one disintegrating at 70mph because of all the cracks..
Modern windshields have a layer of plastic material. They won't just shatter at 70mph

I know that sunroofs have a windscreen but never had one of those fancy models so was not sure, we have used silicone for fixing leaks on some trucks that were rolled to seal and would think the glass shops would do same.

We had a 1991 Explorer XLT that had a windshield replaced after a couple of years ownership. The installer didn't take care and scraped paint off where he shouldn't have. About a year later that spot had rusted through and rain would leak into the cabin. Clear silicon stopped it, but didn't stop the rusting. About once a year I'd have to squeeze more silicon around the top of the windshield to stop the new leaks.

Latest posts