Windshield Replacement

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale Carlson

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,

I work at a local technical college where the Automotive program offered to have students replace windshields for free (under the supervision of a master glass technician). I've been living with a little chip on the passenger's side since I bought my 2001 Trac used (well, that and all of the fingerprints inside the windshield from the passengers who felt an absolute need to reach out and ....).

Question: Do any of you know if there any pecularities within the 2001 yeargroup regarding windshields, or are they all the same? Only reason I ask is that I seem to recall a thread from a while back that said there were some differences even within the same year - or I could be imagining the whole thing. Anyway, I just want to make sure before they order the windshields.

thanks.

You should only replace your windsheild as a last resort. Once replaced your car may never be the same. There is tons of information about this on the internet. One of the biggest problems is rust will form around the window opening if the replacement is not done absolutely correctly. Has something to do with when they cut out the original adhesive bead.

I work for Hertz, and we replace hundreds of windshields a year. We have no more problems with fleet vehicles with replacement windshields than we do with cars with originals.

I agree....Had to have the windshield replaced twice so far on my 01..one chip in the field of vision..and another chip that cracked ....no problems whatsoever!!

I had mine on my '05 replaced due to a flying rock and it is just like new. To clarify...I watched the installer like a hawk, then made him replace the first attempt after finding a scratch in the glass. Also, get genuine ford glass.

I had a windshield replaced a week or so ago. I specified that they only use genuine Ford glass. Only with Ford glass do you know it is built to the exact specifications designed for that vehicle. Ford is the only automaker, that i know of, that makes thier own glass. The others use either LOF, PPG, or some others that I can't think of at the moment.

To be honest, I would not deal with having school kids do it. Sure, I know they are learning a trade, but for such a new vehicle, personally I do not think it is worth the chance to have something go wrong.

The cost, including sales tax was $201.87.

The actual cost to install the glass was $50.00, the remaing cost was sales tax and the cost of the glass.

They guy came to my house to install it. They have a lifetime warranty on it. If it leaks, I get wind noise, or anything else, they will take care of it...no questions asked.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, I had my glass replaced a few months ago...expert job with no problems. Had my wifes windshiled replaced by the same company about 3 months ago. They came out and replaced the window, but about a week later when it rained, I noticed a rubbing/scratching sound when the wipers were on. Come to find out that the drivers side wiper arm had come out of adjustment when they installed the glass. Needless to say, the company came back out, took the broken arm, ordered a new arm AND since it took a week to come in, they put my wife in a RC, replaced the replacement glass...all at no cost to us (with the exception of the original replacement cost).

BTW, the company in question is SAFELITE.

WP'06

Safelite did a good job for me. Replaced my windsheild ~2 years ago, GEICO picked up the cost. No problems.

I always forget that this is a replacement gas.

Ford Glass factory in Broken Arrow, OK is a neat place. Been by it several times.

I need to have my 'shield replaced.... two horizontal cracks, three other rock hits (one looks like a gun shot, but it's not). Figure I'll wait longer as the longer I wait the fewer cracks the new 'shield will have.:lol:

Nope, none of the problems are in my field of view. One of the cracks is about 1/3 of the way up on the passenger side though. If Arkansas had a safety inspection like Missouri had, I would have had to replace it a year and a half ago.

GTG!!

Had mine replaced with a ford oem shield. No issues...

Of they chip the paint or damage something you can have problems..

I have had several changed, Just get a life time guaranty against leaks and your good to go..

Todd Z

thanks guys. I think I'm gonna let the school do it - I don't think the risks are that great. And if it doesn't work out, then I'll take it to the pros - which you guys have given me some good advice on. Either way, I don't feel I'll be out anything out of pocket that I wouldn't have been anyway.

Todd, Caymen, where'd you get the Ford Carlite from? I couldn't find anyone that would do it, not even the dealerships.

The Safelite one came with a lifetime warranty and met DOT specs. Safelite manufactures their own glass.

They were fantastic as far as service, and worked with my insurance company, so I paid nothing.

Nobleman,

The company that my insurance company sent to my job..:rolleyes:

I don't remember the name..

Todd Z

Nobleman,

When I called them to inquire about prices, I told them I wanted Ford glass and if they couldn't get me Ford glass, I would go elsewhere.

We called a dozen places. They all told me that Ford glass was more expensive. The place I went with, Triumph Auto Glass, told me that the Ford glass was the same price as the other brand they use. They even said many other places will tell you Ford glass is more expensive.

To top it off, they were one of the lower priced places.

I called the Ford dealer since Theresa works at that dealer. They told me they call someone out to install the glass because they don't do it. I said if you are going to call some third party to do it, I might as well go direct. The Service manager said "I couldn't agree more".

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had my ST's windshield replaced twice now. First time was a month after we got it, Dealer did it. Second time was just two weeks ago at a private shop. Both times couldn't even tell it was replaced, aside from being able to see out it!

Cayman is right. Use Ford glass or make sure it meets all Ford and DOT specifications.

Even more important is the adhesive. The adhesive should also meet Ford and DOT specifications including the method of application. Since the adhesive is a polyurethane, it needs time to cure to build proper strength. The drive-through glass shops are doing a disservice--the car really needs to sit without being moved for up to 24 hours after replacing the windshield for the adhesive to properly bond and cure.

The reason proper windshield service is so important is that the windshield is now a structural component of the vehicle that provides strength and crash protection, as opposed to older cars where the windshield just sat in a metal frame.

Read the links below for more information:

http://www.glasslinks.com/newsinfo/cbcstory.htm

http://www.dakotalandautoglass.com/SiouxFalls/replacement.htm

http://www.4kaylim.com/danger.htm

http://www.leakpro.com/windshield.htm