winter tires and rims

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve moore

Reaction score
hi all,,,I own a 2009 STA . I was looking at some 18 inch steel rims and winter tires for the comming season. Do I need to put tps? sensors on these new rims? The guy at the tire store said without these some makes and models won't come out of second gear. Is the STA one of these? Also ,any suggestions on 18 inch winter tires(I think dealer said 265 65 18s)

ty

steve

The truck will run just fine. You will have an indicator light on all the time and will have use the reset button to see anything other than a warning. After about 20 miles an alarm will go off and you will have to reset again. Does not affect how the truck runs. You can get all 4 sensors and bands from a company called American Muscle for about $150.

I changed the rims on my 350Z and I could not use the TPMs on the new rims. I thought I would get some warning light or alarm without them but nothing like that happened. When I scroll through the display to get to the TPM reading it is blank.

Now as far as the STA goes I am not sure. But think about this, if you had to put the spare tire wouldn't that make the TPM alarm go off then. I doubt the spare has a TPM monitor on it.

Now I could be wrong but if there is no TPM signal at all then probably nothing will happen but if you have low pressure on an active signal then you will get a warning light.

Now as far as the STA goes I am not sure. But think about this, if you had to put the spare tire wouldn't that make the TPM alarm go off then. I doubt the spare has a TPM monitor on it.

The tires can be in the bed and the indicator will not trigger...they do not have to be mounted.

So if the TPMs are not near the sensor in the vehicle then the light/alarm will go on. I am guessing you have had this happen.

Yes, I changed my wheels. While coming home ,with the original wheels & tires in the bed, no problem. As soon as I removed them from the bed and restarted the truck, the TPMS is activated. You cannot reuse the original bands as they are crimped, but you can use the original sensors. The TPMS is annoying and I will be installing the sensors in the next couple of weeks. Also, the TPMS cannot be turned off. If this is something you are going to do year in and year out, spend the extra money and get the sensors and bands for your winter wheels.

Aret the sensors charged when they rotate? If so you place the in the bed, they will discharge causing an error.

Tom

Aret the sensors charged when they rotate? If so you place the in the bed, they will discharge causing an error.

This may occur after some time, but not in the first 45 minutes. And actually I thought they contained batteries because I read they will only work for 5 or 6 years. Which if true, Ford charges a bunch of money for these things. Not sure how the technology works.

I think the guy at the tire store is full of it. The reason I say this. As anything electronic, it can fail. If what he said is true. A failure would put you in the position of driving in second gear. Im sure the engineers thought better than that.

Honestly, I find due to my own studies. I know more than most tire store jockies.

Steve....

I dont recall, on the adren aren't the rims just the chrome plastic covers ???? Or are they solid metal ??

I would just remove the covers for the winter......

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the replies,,I dont think I will bother with the tpms for the winter rims. I'm looking at about 1700$CND for tires and rims,,,ouch! Todd Z they are the solid metal. my 07 ST rims were crap after 3 winters, not gonna happen with these,,lol

ty

steve

red rush,

you mention you changed the wheels on your 350z. i am looking to change the stocks on the wifes 03 touring. what did you get? tires? pics?

thnx

btw: sorry for going off thread topic