WinXP Help

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When a computer continues to reboot, it is usually a heat problem.

While that is true, WinXP will also auto reboot if there is a problem. If I disable that function, I get the error I listed above.

There is a checksum error in the file apphelp.dll

The video card is fine. The RAM is fine. The problem is the file APPHELP.DLL, hence the error pointing at that file. WinXP is loaded on a partition that is NTFS, therefore using a Win98 Start-up disk won't work since it will not recognize a NTFS partition.

What can I run from CD to replace the file in question?

A little background about my PC experience. All my PC's, except Laptops, DUH ;), are built by me. I understand most BIOS settings. I know how to access the BIOS settings.

Win98 was so easy to work with, but WinXP is so stable, I don't have to deal with this crap.

It has essentially made me computer stupid.

Tom

If you want to copy APPHELP.dll from another machine to that one, you can do that with Knoppix or something similar, I'm not sure how to extract that specific file from the windows cd. I'm sure there is a way I just don't know it.

edit: found how to extract the file from the winxp cd just change user32.ll to apphelp.dll

5. Insert the Windows XP CD into your CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive.

6. Extract a new copy of the User32.dll file from the Windows XP CD to the Windows\System32 folder on your hard disk. To do so, type the following lines at a command prompt, pressing ENTER after each line, where CDROMDrive is the drive letter of the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive that contains the Windows XP CD-ROM, and Drive is the drive on which Windows is installed:

a:

extract CDROMDrive:\i386\user32.dl_ Drive:\windows\system32\user32.dll

For example, if your CD-ROM is drive E and Windows is installed on drive C, type extract e:\i386\user32.dl_ c:\windows\system32\user32.dll, and then press ENTER.

7. Remove the Windows 98 or Windows Millennium Edition startup disk from your computer, and then restart the computer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could it just be the boot.ini file that is corrupt?

I'm with TJR, boot with the WinXP disc and use CHKDSK /R .

Sometimes heat issues can be solved by just blowing all of the dust out of the fans.

Update.

First off, I had to get a system running ASAP for her. She runs an ebay business and has to be able to get online to process the orders.

I had to dig around my house and build a makeshift PC to get her online. So, I was able to build an Athlon XP 1900+ machine with an 80 GB HDD, 1 GB of RAM, etc... I than had to change our printer from a local printer on her non-working machine to an ethernet connection so she can print shipping labels. I need to have access to the printer from my laptop too.

Now I am going to get her non-working machine back online. Once I get that working, I will have to rebuild the machine I just got running to run faster. She will be using that machine as a shipping station in our little "warehouse".

I guess all is not lost. Worst case scenero is that I will have to install the drive out of her non-working PC, back-up all the data and reformat the machine. I hope I do not need to do that, but if I have to, I will.

Right now, I am running chkdsk to see if it finds any errors.

I will keep you all updated.

Just some other information. Heat is not an issue. The machine is running nice and cool. The CPU is not hot and all fans are running properly. The HDD does not have any mechanical issues, though it has some file system errors. Both DVD burners are fine and the SCSI CD-RW and the IDE LS120 drive (I love these things) is working flawless. The RAM is fine too.

As I said before, I have never had a OEM style PC. All of my PC's are hand built by myself. I know how to fix 99% of all Win9X issues, but anything like WinNT, Win2K, and WinXP is something I just have never had to deal with, therefore, it is greek to me.

Tom

Ran CHKDSK /R. Went to boot the system back up and it is still doing the same thing.

Can I access the CD-ROM while in the recovery mode?

Tom

No you can not, from when I found how to extract the file though it said you can boot to a win98 boot disk and then extract that file since it is extracting using the winxp cd it seems like it should be able to access the ntfs partition, but I don't know that since I had to look up how to extract the file to begin with.

Also have you tried copying the file from a working machine?

Yes, I tried to copy the file from a working machine, but have no way to get it into the machine. The Win98 Disk will not recognize any NTFS partition and wouldn't you know it, that OS's file system is NTFS, so the Win98 S-U-D does not "see" any HDD's.

I will see what else I can do.

Tom

Did you try safe mode command prompt?

Or like above knoppix or some other bootable cd? I have a tool sitting right here that would do it, but it's not freely distributed :( From some other PE environment you can copy the file from other other machine.

Hell put the hd in the other machine and copy it there physically connected to the working computer.

Here is what I ended up doing. I ran CHKDSK /R and it fixed two errors. Restarted the system, same error. Ran recovery with the XP CD, still same error. Grabbed my Partition Magic floppys and converted the drives from NTFS to FAT32. Restarted the machine, still same error. Tried recovery...still the same. I then ran Scandisk and did a surface scan on the drive. Restarted the machine, still same error. I again ran the recovery, no luck. I then copied APPHELP.DLL to the Windows/system32 directory and restarted it. I got a different error. (I forget what it was though.) I than re-ran the WinXP CD recovery and went through everything. System is back up and running.

Thanks alot for everyones help.

Tom