Xcal 2...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeff d

Reaction score
Where can I get one with custom tunes? Also, how much does it cost? I have an 03 trac with a 9" lift on 35's and my MPG isn't all too great. Is there anyone on this board that sells them and custom tunes them? Any help is greatly appreciated!

jeff d

There are 2 site sponsors that sell them.. Check out Bamachips or Fast Parts Network..Both have had great feedback and are accessible on here...Hope this helps.

Doug at BamaChips and Torrie at Unleashed Tuning (new name I believe) both sell them with tunes, and I think it runs around $380 (not sure if that's tax, s/h, etc).

I'm running one of Doug's tunes. I started with his e-mail tune, and then went up for dyno tuning. Doug's original e-mail tune was so good I only gained about 2hp on the dyno with 30min of work.

Bootsy,

It is a hand held unit that you plug in under the dash in the OBD2 port. It downloads your computer's stock program and uploads a custom tune that your tuner makes. When ordering you tell them what mods you have, and if you change tire size, gears, etc. They can also remove or change the rev limiter, change shift points, timing advance, and basically make your truck run better. You'll see an increase in HP and TQ, and likely an increase in gas mileage if you keep your foot out of it.

If I change my wheels/tires during seasons is that an issue with the xCal2 programming? I am currently running summer wheels/tires that are bigger then stock. So I guess what I am asking is would it be worth it to me to get the xCal 2? I do not want to have to reprogram stuff according to my wheel/tire size. Thank you so much in advance!

Bootsy, yes, it can. However it's something you can program yourself on the unit while it's plugged in. Not having the computer know the size of the tires can mess with a lot of things, including the ABS.

Bootsy, you mentioned that your summer wheels are larger than stock. If the overall diameter of your summer wheels/tires are larger than stock, then your truck is actually traveling faster than what you rspeedometer is indicating which could possible get you a ticket. Just wanted to share another reason why the Xcal might be of interest to you.

You know I wondered about that. I have a Garmin c550 and one of the features is a speedometer. When my stock wheels were on, it was the same readings as my ST's speedometer. After the bigger wheels/tires were mounted, it still matches what my ST speedometer reads. I really don't know how the Garmin works like that, but it is not hardwired into my ST, so I donno. Hopefully it is right. I am highly interested in the xCal2, except I do not want to have to flip wheels/tires to set programs for the xCal 2.....that's what it sounds like I would have to do....but then again maybe I will. Someone correct me if I am wrong though, please.

Bootsy, your Garmin c550 is a very accurate tool for measuring speed. It uses satelite triangulation to calculate your true and "actual" speed which is totally independent from any of your ST interworkings. The long and short of it is that your overall wheel/tire diameter has not changed which is why your ST speedometer continues to be accurate. And with that being said there is NO reason for you to have to flip wheels/tires for your Xcal2 programs to be effective and accurate.