xcal II not allowing me to download 91 oct

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jose Ayala

Reaction score

I got the xcal II last night and I did load the 87 oct. first just to see what changed and then move forward to download the 91 oct since this is the gasoline I normally use, but after completing the cycle, I started the truck and it did not keep the rpms up neither stayed running.

Something is wrong, please let me know what I did wrong, thanks!!!

Jose :(:huh:

PS- items already loaded in my truck:

1. JBA headers

2. pulley

3. K&N cold air system

4. JBA spark plug cables

5. Flowmaster series with double exhaust

I just got mine today.. :D But I was thinking something from your post. Did you disconnect the fuses that it says for you to do? (I don't even know where the fuel pump and electric fan fuses are...)

Or perhaps you need to move it back to stock, then to 91? Somebody help here... I'm only guessing..

I also have a question to add to the post. I've not used the X cal 2 yet.. Should I unplug the battery and plug it back in after I do the X cal 2 flash so that the truck can re-learn it's self?

~Josh

Last edited by a moderator:
No I didn't since I asked and no one said that I should have done it. I did load the 87 and it works fine without removing the fuses but when I tried to load the 91, after completed, my truck did not want to run.

Hope that some one will help us here?:huh::huh:

Be patient. When you loaded the 1st program for 87, it takes the ST's computer some time, 5-10 miles, to make the adjustments. Normally I drove around for a day or so. If you attempted to flash in the 91 progaram before the computer had a chance to learn the 1st one you may have confussed it.

FOLLOW YOUR INSTRUCTIONS. Disconnect the neg. battery terminal and the fuel fuse. Re- flash the stock program, drive around for awhile, then attempt to flash the 91, AFTER fueling it with that octane.

You said you can run the 87 so I would run the 87, let the computer adjust and see how different it performs. I'm able to flash all 3 programs and the stock settings at will, but I never change until I fuel up with that specific octane. If I go cheap I run the 87, etc.

D-

The fuel pump fuse is in the fuse box under the hood. Your owners manual will show which one.

I t is a 20 amp Yellow fuse. You don have a electric fan fuse unless you have installed an electric cooling fan as a mod. You pull these fuses to prevent a power surge during programing. :)

Before you loaded the 91 tune, did you go back to stock first or did the tuner allow you to flash the 91 tune over the 87 one?

Josh, not necessary to unplug the battery. Flashing to a new tune and or flashing back to stock is essentially the same thing I think.

I just flashed mine with the 93 octane setting...(And I left the fuse in..) Worked just fine and then afterwords, just to be on the safe side I disconnected the negative end of the battery for 10 min, then had the truck re-learn it's fuel trim... Works GREAT!!! Shifts a little firmer than before, but then again I've done the EPC valve adjustment. The speedometer is finally correct again too!! (Since it's been FUBAR for over a month ever since I got the new wheels and tires..)

But now I'm curious... I have 91 octane in the ST, but Wayne made my tune for 87 and 93... Will it hurt to run the ST with 91 at the 93 calibration?

Dunno what to say for you Jose... Did you try calling Wayne?

~Josh

hmmm... That doesnt sound so good.. :( So I'm guessing I should switch it to 87 until I get the 91 out?

~Josh

Josh, ALSO disconnecting the battery AFTER FLASHING can cause the computer to revert back to a factory setting. Causing the flash not to work...

You should re flash that last tune you installed....

Todd Z