Xcal2 initial observations on my '07 V8 ST

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat Freeman

Reaction score
I arrived home today to find the Xcal2 patiently waiting in my mailbox. I wasted no time following the directions and uploading the 87 Octane tune. My other choice was the 93, but I'll hold off on that if gas ever comes down on price (wishful thinking).

My initial observation after flashing the PCM was that this truck now shifts the way it's supposed to. Throttle response is instantaneous - no more delay when pulling out and no more 2nd gear pullouts with 1st gear downshifts like the stock PCM program. I can drive it under normal conditions and it feels completely more responsive.

At wide open throttle - the V8 actually sounds like a V8! Not only that, it has power and shifts when it reachs redline instead of lingering there waiting to decide which gear to take next. Also, it appears that throttle position (whether you depress to 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 pedal travel) dictates which gear you will downshift into. No longer do you press 3/4 down and only downshift one gear until the stock PCM decides if that is good enough or not. You get the right gear for what you want to do. I'm very impressed.

I plan on doing some highway travel tomorrow and will see if there is any difference in MPG. However, for now, I'm very happy with this purchase and highly recommend it to the other '07 owners!

Great, sounds like it's what the doctor ordered. Yet another reason to look forward to getting an '07, just what I need. Come on Job 2...

Took it on a trip today and it was great to have the engine downshift when it should. I was also driving rurally and noticed when I pulled out downhill, the shift from 1st to 2nd was so strong without my foot on the pedal that it jerked my head back. That was a bit much, but only seems to do this downhill. The mileage doesn't seem to be any different than stock. At least it's not getting worse!!! I'm happy!

it was the same but were you enjoying the mor power to use more fuel that is the problem when we do mods we enjoy them to much and burn more fuel

16MPG city mixed city/highway on the last tank. For fun, I just filled up with premium, $57 worth, and went to the premium program. WOW! I'm planting myself so far into the seat, I have to HOLD ON to the steering wheel. It reminds me of my Vette. You can feel the torque pulling harder and harder up through 4500RPM rather than having initial torque and it slowly dying off. I'm impressed.

I think the stock tune on the '07 was weighted heavily on fuel economy and not performance. I was so ticked that I was dusted by a stock Camry that I was considering swapping out the rear. My '02 ST with 4.10 gears could smoke my '07 with the stock tune. Seriously! Now, I don't have that problem any more. I don't know what kind of HP you will get out of the Xcal2. All I know is the torque is different, and you can feel it when you want to!

On the 93 tune, to work and to the dentist today, I'm seeing 13.5MPG on the display because I'm really pushing it. No pinging, the 93 tank-full is working just fine. I think the shifting was much snappier on the 87 tune than the 93, tho. It might be time for me to ask for a custom tune to get that snappy shifting in the 93.

Pat,

I am glad you are happy with it sir. I will get you a tune update for the 93 in your email tomorrow with the links and the tune file in your email.

Thats awesome man, It would be nice to see a dyno result with it. I am thinking your making some serious power now. The difference from the 87 to 93 tunes are night and day.

That ramp in sucked on the stock, but that was for MPG and economy.

Good luck with it man, And i am sure Wayne can tweak it a little more for you and get some more power and torque...

Todd Z

Wayne - COOL! If you have sent the email I deleted it. If not, I'll be waiting to try the new tune! Thanks!

Just an FYI to all, from a dead stop with wide open throttle on the 93 octane tune, I punch it and I can feel/see the front of the ST raising up during launch!

Just an update, I've been showing 13MPG consistently on the display while running 93 and pounding the !@#% out of my ST.

I advance the timing just a tad on the 93 tune, so there would be a little chance of detonation, but I do pad the fuel enough so that shouldnt be a problem. The main reason I pad the fuel curve a bit is the "variations" in fuel from station to station even of the same octane.

Traction control is still enabled on the 93 tune Wayne provides. He may be able to change that in a custom tune for you, but not sure.

Wayne - I know you're busy so I'll be on standy until you can develop another tune for me for the 93. Just a note, I noticed that with the 87 tune, throttle position dictated downshifts. 1/4 throttle and it immediately downshifted, 1/2 throttle, another downshift, etc. It was really neat that this worked very well. With the 93 tune, if I'm at 2k RPM into 3rd gear, for example, and floor it, no downshift. Maybe the shift points are programmed different in the 93 tune, but I really liked that I could downshift based on throttle position with the 87 tune.

Does this void the warranty, because it sounds interesting since I just drove a v8 and a v6 yesterday with the v6 comming out on top. I was surprised, but the v8 shifted out of first as soon as I pulled out of the parking lot. I thought something was wrong with it, but apparently this is normal. I was thinking about driving a different v8 because it pulled about as hard as a freestyle at 55. So does this void the warranty? Also, is the back window that rolls down worth waiting for because normally I don't like the back windows on trucks, but it seems like this would cause air to flow real good, like a convertible if you had the sunroof open and all the windows down. The dealer says it won't be like a convertible and wind won't blow in at all, but are they pushing product?

Last edited by a moderator:
Backwindow is awesome. Air flows fantastic. Control it by how much the driver's window is down or by selecting the "vent" position which puts the back window down ~3 inches. I consider the power back window a must have.

Latest posts