YIPPIE the tranny finally shot craps again!!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chad Merry

Reaction score
Well my cold weather slipping finally worked it's way to a complete tranny failure. So now it will be 1800.00 for a compete rebuild, but it will have some upgrades. When I now start the truck every gear is forward even neutral, and park!! When the truck is started is constantly under load, will not even rev. Tranny fluid is everywhere under the vehicle, and there is a pretty cool vibration, and even some smoke:banana:

$1800 doesn't sound too bad especially with upgrades. my old truck 90 f-250 they wanted about $3000 for rebuilt with shift kit and on my sisters lexus rx300 she was pretty much told up front they would not rebuild it by 3 different shops all quoted around $4000. So I guess were lucky trans shops will even rebuild these trannys.

Chad, Also don't forget to mention the larger tires, and all the off roading you do with the truck !!

Todd Z

I'm lucky my father in law does tranny's in his garage, I paid about $300.00 total for my rebuild 2 years ago, after the dreaded flare. been great since!

I think Chad's lost it...

I have lost it.. I was let go from my job in Nov, then the company called me back to a be consultant. I said cool that works for me and you will be paying me alot more money now, and I will have own little small business. So now I have several thousand dollars of invoices into the company and they filled chapter 11 2 days ago.. So get the wonderful phone call last night telling me my invoices might not be paid, and if they do it wont be for at least 6 months.

Then my tranny shot craps on me.. So I have somewhat lost it, I am just trying to see the glass as half FULL still, and that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

The owner of the tranny shop warranties his work, but then when he finally saw my truck he asked " Do you do that crazy rock climbing, in that truck?" I said well kinda.. So that is when he told me about the upgrades he could do it. Hopefully he still gives me the full warranty:unsure:

Chad, thats great you found someone that understands more than a standard rebuild, at that price. I had an independent years ago that did that for me and freinds. His prices were excelent. We couldnt break any trans he fixed..:D He is long gone now..:(

Maybe down the road we will have another choice other than the 5R55E.

Have used a couple lentech AODs in the past, Bada$$ trannys for bada$$ cars.

called them today and asked if there was anything to be done to build a bullit proof 5R55E.

such as they do with the AODs.

Was told nothing could be done as the 5rs were never meant to be used in a 5000lb truck, bad design from the gitgo.

They have plenty of built trannys for the 4.6 crowd, But they are working on an adapter to use an AOD with the 4 liter.

Their base built AOD (good to 400 H.P.) Is around 1900 bux, with a lifetime warranty.

That would be sweet.

IF you don't care about the overdrive you can install a C4 !!!!! Talk about bullet proof !!

Todd Z

I actually feel the 5R is bullit proof within certain limits.

Proper maintainence, run a PML oversize pan as I and I believe Todd do's (3 extra Qts)

No major offroading, tow if you must well below advertised wgts, monitor tranny temps if you tow, my tranny has never been over 160. and runs 130ish most of the time.

The tech told one thing that I found interesting. He said sometime in about 03, Motorcraft was marketing Merc V fluid that was no where near Merc V specs, if true, why I do not know.

He also said that the OEM tunes used, ran the pressors way to low.

Glad I got my SCT yrs ago to correct that problem, my tranny works flawlessly.

beach trac,

Here ya go:

76a35533c58e016841be229e97fe6dbc.jpg

The pans a great addition, if your tranny is still in top shape, comes with a mag drainplug also.

The boss to the rgt in the pic can easily be drilled and tapped (I think 1/8 pipe Thread), for an auto meter temp gauge sending unit, easy install.

Don't pay 40 bux to have them do the temp gauge boss, do it yourself with a hand drill, the proper sized bits, and a 5 doller tap.

Last edited by a moderator: