You guys are old enough to remember these

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark K 2

Reaction score
Look what I just got in the mail. I won it on eBay for $19.95. It's a new-in-the-box DeVilbiss steam vaporizer from the early 1960's. I remember mom putting one of these in my room when I had a cold. If you let it run all day, water drops will form on the ceiling. It puts modern cool mist humidifiers to shame. I currently have a sinus infection; it came just at the right time.

498f686acead6a1d49c255fdbc05f53d.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Cleaned up the ceiling many times from my kids being sick and using one of those. My mom had one in the 50s for us. I can almost smell the Vicks now, LOL!

This is what I remember. 1960, 5 yrs old at the time.

[Broken External Image]:

I remember the one LaRue posted...and I was born in '85.

I remember those vaporisors when I was a kid...I think they had a chamber to put in some medications like Vicks Vapo-Rub. We had one for my oldest daughter when she was young but that was over 46+ years ago.

I imagine you can probably still buy them new...somewhere? I don't recall seeing them stores for years, but then I was not looking for one. I will keep my eyes open next time I'm out shopping.

...Rich

They were pulled off the market in the 1960's because of the burn hazard to little kids.

Is that a non polarized plug? I haven't seen one of those in eons.

Yep. This vaporizer dates from 1962. I can tell because it has a plastic base. If it had a metal base, it would be from the 1950's.

It sure works well! I had water drops on the ceiling this morning. The humidity level in the house is now 60%.

Mark,

They were pulled off the market in the 1960's because of the burn hazard to little kids.

It would have had to been in the very late 1960's...Like 1968-1969? Since my daughter was born in In Novemember 1967 and we did not get a vaporizer until she was at least a year old.

Also,

Even if your humility registers 60% in your house, and your vaporizer is putting water drops on your ceiling, that is way too much moisture in one room. That can cause the paint to peel and encourage the growth of mold...That's why most building codes require a ventilator fan in bathrooms.

...Rich

They must've brought them back because my wife and I just bought one new about three years ago, can't remember where but we still have it and used it just last winter.

It's hard to find any newer appliance (light, fan, radio, toaster, etc.) without a polarized plug. iPhone chargers are AC/DC converters (transformers), so they don't need polarity for consumer's safety.

Latest posts