Your Opinion: Best Performance Oil For Supercharged 4.6L?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carey Frennier

Reaction score
Title says it all. Right now I do oil changes every 5,000 miles. I just use the Motorcraft oil at our local Ford place. I think it's a synthetic blend but I'm not really sure.

Now that my truck will be supercharged and everything will be under more stress...I'd really like to protect the engine the best I can...short of going fully built lol.

Royal Purple the best out there?

IMO, purple is over rated for the price. I would run any qaulity syn blend or full syn. Send samples to blackstone labs at various intervals. On my 4.0L gen1 '04. I just ran 10k miles with castrol full syn, a K&N filter. Lab report came back good. Im not boosted though.

Motorcraft is a syn-blend and good oil. It is better priced at parts store than others.

IMO, change intervals will vary. Depending on how much you put your foot in it. Under boost you may get more ring blow-by, than non boost. Short drives on any can also not burn off condensation in the crank-case on any motor. When you dont burn off crankcase condensation. The carbon from blow-by keeps the oil more acidtic.

I agree with Eddie,

Royal Purple is a high quality oil, but there are many others that are just as good and a lot cheaper. Even Mobil-1 is just as good as is Motorcraft, etc.

For the additional heat and stress from the supercharger, I would go with a 100% synthetic oil and change it every 5K miles or sooner.

....Rich

Saw a used oil analysis posted on BobIsTheOilGuy.com a while back of a supercharged Mustang Cobra, 10k miles on Mobil 1 and the UOA was fine. Just sayin'.

UOA's are the only way to know for sure. I would try some of the top oils, get 5000 mile UOA's on each, and see what your engine likes best. I'd suggest Mobil 1, Royal Purple, and Pennzoil Platinum.

I consistently get better UOA's with Pennzoil Platinum than Mobil 1 in any of my family's vehicles.

Blackstone Labs, costs $25. They will send you a collection kit and data sheet for free, you send it back with a little used oil and a check.

Last edited by a moderator:
My experience with Red Line for the past 15 years has been great for all my vehicles, motorcycles, boat etc. I've never had a bad UOA using Red Line with either a Hastings, WIX or Amsoil EoA filter.

Jack

amsoil, purple, mobile...

id say castrol edge but everytime i used it something bad would happen

1 blown motor

2 truck gets totaled...

bad luck oil, never again lol

i use mobil in my turbo'd car (srt4)

Another advantage about using Mobil, Pennzoil, Motorcraft, is that they are readily available almost anywhere. I don't care to use brands that feel they are so exclusive that they are only carried in a few places, or must be ordered from an small group of distributors.

If you use a quality oil from a brand name manufacturer that convenient for you to buy at any autoparts store or even Wal-Mart, you will be more apt to changing your oil regularly, and the price won't bust your budget.

...Rich

Amsoil. Been running it since I got my Trac in 2002. Changed the oil once a year whether it needed it or not. Now at 115,000 miles and runs perfect.

In the end, it is what you like and feel comfortable with. Personally, I would not use anything but Amsoil. Again, my vehicle, my choice, my money.

Tom

Mobil1. Change it every 3-5000 miles, use a Mobil1 synthetic(filter media) oil filter. Does the supercharger have an oil feed line from the engine or is it a self contained unit? If its lubricated from the engine, definately change the oil/filter more often. If self-contained, follow the manufactures recommendation for the supercharger oil change. I'd be really anal about this thing if it were me. Just for the peace of mind that I was doing all I could to protect everything. Bob

I don't think you would go wrong with any of the oils mentioned here. Like I said, a UOA is the only way to know for sure. In your case I would run a good synthetic and for no more than 5000 miles.

I am back to Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 in the Trac. Ran Mobil 1 0w-30 Fuel Economy for a year and a half, it was fine for 5000 miles but the last time I ran it 6500 and the iron ppm was much higher. Right now I have Pennzoil Platinum back in it, will run it the full 7500 and see what the lab says.

Agree with Bob C. on the filters. Both Mobil 1 and K&N oil filters have synthetic media instead of paper, it is supposed to flow better. I use Mobil 1 filters instead of Motorcraft since I've stretched out the oil change interval.

Latest posts