'02 Radiator Replacement

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bk10s

Reaction score
I think I have a small leak on the driver's side of the radiator. Any tips before I replace? Looks fairly straightforward. I prefer to use the Motorcraft replacement parts, but not readily available. What brand do you recommend? I see several on Rock Auto, and there is also a choice between 1" and 2"?

I agree with the factory parts on most items, quite a few on here use aluminum which is great but we used one on my friends gen 1 and had to modify fitment, not much, but not a direct bolt on. in hotter climate or for towing, more rows is better for cooling. personally i would spend a few extra and get at parts store in case of issues, i have had problems with rock auto sending bad mislabeled parts and not backing up the items, i have 2 hubs that are bad from them in timken boxes and they were not. did not learn my lesson on there first screw up. napa is pricey but way cheaper then a tow bill.

Been running my 2001 SportTracJob2 (near identical to your 2002) a couple of years now after swapping
FactoryOE PlasticTanked 2Row Radiator to Aftermarket Aluminum 4Row Radiator. No regrets.
As Curtis noted, there were a couple of very minor changes\adjustments required in that swap.
Click here for details on my 2001 SportTrac wiki page.
2001.Ford_Cool.Rad4_APFO.2173_4of4.GIF

2001.Ford_Cool.Rad4_APFO.2173_1of4.GIF

2001.Ford_Cool.Rad~.0DXa.GIF

I swapped mine, I have a 2002 also. Bought radiator at advanced auto, I did not get the 4-row - I just stayed with original and it was a straight forward swap. I have never had a overheat situation. I agree though with Brett H, swap out the thermostats and stuff. Good preventative maintenance while ur there.

Did the water pump, thermostat, etc. a few months back. Fan clutch was last week! Fan clutch unavailable from Ford, went with one from NAPA.

Latest posts