07' likes and dislikes

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B M

Reaction score
Test drove a limited the other day.... Usually don't like to actually test drive unless I am going to buy something, because even if I am not there to buy I have been known to go back a week later and buy it. HOWEVER, this test drive, has left me not wanting a new ST. Just curious about what everyones likes and dislikes are with the new ST.

Personally I shouldn't have driven the Limited. WAY to fancy inside for my usage. My ST I am not afraid to get in if I am covered in dust and dirt. The new one...forGET it. I do like the shift integrated into the center console, never really liked the steering wheel shifter. The interior features have alot in common with our Volvo, go figure, I do like that. I absolutely hate the door handles, I actually caught myself thinking if I could screw a nylon handle in the appropriate place, what was I thinking?? The sunroof couldn't be an option, because it lowers the roof about 2 or 3 inches, in the headroom department, so my head hits the roof. This model at the dealer didn't have the power rear window, right off the bat I told him NO DEAL. The body style is plain. I like the side panel on the older ST's and the curves of the older models are nice. The bed area, has those silly compartments that are awkward to get to, and if you carry dirt or sand, it will get into the grab areas for each compartment, that will be a pain in the ....... I dont like the fake chrome on the front either, if I wanted a Jetta I would buy one. V8 seems ok, the ride is definately 100% quieter then my '01. All in all I guess the old girl is staying in the family. I wouldn't dream of buying a new one. I am glad I have it.

I all ways said, I like the new one, But it will NOT make me get rid of my 03.....

I like all aspects of the 07 except, The directional stick location sucks... The height between the gas and brake pedals I don't like, The hesitation, ( which was fixed) , reaching into the front storage bin is a pain and the rear bumper is flimsy....

Thats about it...

Todd Z

I'm going to keep my 04 until it's time to take it to the "Yard" so maybe I'll be concerned about the features of the '14 model Trac, if there is one.

I like my 07 but there are some things that are not so great. This is my first SUV so it took a while to get used to the drive from the Mustang I traded in. The inside looks to much like a luxury vehicle instead of the 'truck' it should be. The ride is awesome especially on long drives. I like the in-bed storage bins but they are hard to get to. Overall I am very happy with this purchase because it suits the needs of my family of 5 versus the Mustang that we could not all fit in (only 4 seat belts and little room in the back).

Overall I think its a great truck for people who largely do not need a truck. In my case, it was a excuse to leave the boredom of SUVs. Its been quieted down (unless you've gotten a "rock polisher" V8, like mine, which I'll report more on, later) and gussied up, inside, to attract a wider audience.

The V8 issues, to me, are a crying shame. That because this is basically a good, strong engine. If you're in a V6 and considering all kinds of performance add-ons, the V8 solves all your deisres in one fell-swoop.

I love my 07 Limited although I do agree on a couple of things. The rear bumper really is flimsy, which is a bit disappointing for a truck. I only weigh about 150lbs and I could feel the plastic bumper flexing when I stood on it to clean the tonneau cover the other day. The second thing is that the turn signal stick is definitely in an awkward position, a tad bit too high as if it's always in the right turn signal position. Oh, and one last thing, can someboby PLEASE explain why Ford put the gas filler nozzle on the passenger side?????:wacko:

It's on the passenger side of my SVTF and my Cobra as well...

As for the turn signal, my SVTF it is at about the 9 o'clock position...on the Cobra, it's more at 10:30, so I've gotten used to the change is position :)

I don't like the IRS, front end, or the cheap plastic feel.

Personally, I feel the 2001 to 2005 Spor Trac was the most perfect Trac. If it had a V8, it would have been perfect.

Tom

swapped my 03 for this 07 v8 4x4 (had a 4x4 in the 03).

likes: like the bigger, wider, more muscular stance, but the 03 had sexier curves; this year looks more F150-ish, although is still recognizably an ST.

bigger cargo box is way cool. cargo storage, cute, not sure how functional given size, we'll see.

handling, cornering, ride ---vastly superior.

acceleration, power, smoothness of shift points: IMPRESSIVE.

Thought that the IRS was a heresy, but have changed my mind, on road and off. Very NICE.

Flooring way better; just save your OEM mats and put in some full rubber ones to get rid of the worry about too much mess.

Dislikes:

Kinda liked the shifter on the column, but am getting used to it where it is.

Little refined inside, leaving me looking for Okole seats covers right way, as I don't want to mar that beautiful seat covering.

OVERALL:

putting a v8 in my 03 would not have done it. the handling, ride, cornering, etc. would still ahve been deficient. while my 03 had the limited slip, that was a clumsy, sometimes not very happening traction aid compared to the new the advanced trac control system, which allows for all time 4wd with a sophisticated sensing system that still allows for manually locking both ends at 50/50 with the 4high and getting nice and mean in 4low with the 2.48:1 gearing, which when multiplied by the 1 gear ratio and the standard axle gear ratios produces a very decent crawl ration for a vehicle that is not crawl specific.

THUMBS UP!

What's the deal with that tiny little "trunk" up in the front of the bed? How in the hell is anyone supposed to use it, let alone reach it? What is it good for?

The inbed trunk of my Dad's Ridgeline is GREAT! He keeps a whole bunch of stuff down there, and it is easy to get to, and keeps very dry.

I LOVE the 2001 Tracs! My 2001 was such a nice little truck. What I liked the most when it came to looks on the Trac (which is missing on 07):

>HUGE striker panels

>Clean, yet sporty front fascia

>Non-flared rear end look (the 2007 looks like a sport sided f-150...yuck)

>tail lights

>Gray plastic/ rocker panels

If I went back, it would be a 2001.:)

thought about it a little more...

dislike the missing front tow rings...never towed or recovered anything in 3 years, but still, they LOOKED bitchin...can I add them aftermarket?

there was something else but I have forgotten...

Yes, that little compartment in the cargo box, (no not the two tiny ones in the back, but the one upfront, I am going to crawl in there and measure, yes it is hard to reach and I do wonder what utility it could have...kindy of gimicky?

Ok, now I remember what I also disliked...my 03 had lots of space behind the rear seats in a comparment that spanned the entire back end and was accesible from either end. I had all kinds of fixit flats, extra jack and a real lugnut wrench, my jumper cables, hand towels, and lots more. No, I didn't have a living room in there, but in a nice, out of the way place, easily accessible, stored away, was enough room for basic tools, safety needs, etc. NOW that is gone! in its place is a big sub woofer, go figure, but hey, can I get that storage space back?

I thought the looks of the '07 would grow on me eventually, but I was wrong. The styling is very plain compared to the original, with the exception of the front "chrome" grill. The grill looks ridiculous on a truck, and since it is the only chrome piece on most models it sticks out like a sore thumb.

One thing I noticed is that I never saw an '07 with a Class III hitch. All of the ones I've seen have a Class II. What is the point of selling a V-8 truck with a wimpy hitch? As far as the V-8, numerous people here have complained of the engine noise. That is unacceptable for any vehicle costing $30K. I agree with Webby about the '01-'05 storage compartment -- that thing was awesome! The '07 replaces that compartment with somewhat useless ones in the bed. They can't be locked either, so whatever you put in there better not be valuable if you don't have a tonneau. Speaking of the tonneau, I read here you need a separate key for that in the new models. What is up with that?

My '04 had the tow rings on the front and I used them several times. They are sometimes needed if someone goes off roading. Ford needs to bring a little logic into the design of this vehicle. After the design, they need to make sure quality is built into it. I love the original ST, and even though I had some issues with the handling and quality of some portions of the original, I see it as far superior to the new design. The original ST was innovative with numerous technological firsts (quiet steel, rear bumper design, composite bed, etc.) Look in Ron Brezina's library for details on these award-winning innovations (link below). There is nothing innovative about the new ST. They simply cut up an Explorer and bolted an F-150 bed to it.

I read about the hardcove tonneau needing a separate key, but my ignition key works on mine.

Engine noise? Sometimes on hills, but overall please with the responsiveness and the acceleration at all points on the curve; turning off the OD when highway accelerating is very NICE.

Mine came with the class III hitch and the tranny cooler, even though the tranny cooler was not mentioned in the specs, but there it is, we all know to two 6k lbs you need a class III hitch AND a tranny cooler.

The looks are growing on me, but as I said, the 03 was so much more distinctive...I said its curves were sexy...parked next to one today at Target and compared the two, and can see and appreciate both versions.

But I do not miss the yaw and pitch of the 03 when handling on the road and accelerating past 60 mph; the 07's handling is vastly superior, and the electronics should prove to be unreal.

03 had a LS rear diff, while the 07 has AdvanceTrac; the LS is a crude mechanical solution, the AdvanceTrac is simply another generation ahead. Throwing drive power from back to front, breaking a wheel that is slipping to allow it's pair to continue to spin, now that is awesome.

Inside it is bigger in the back which is great for the riders, compared the 03. I love (yes still) my 03 (ok, it isn't mine anymore) but this is definitely a move ahead overall.

I am getting WetOkole seat covers to address my concerns about the excessive refinement (and potential for jacking them up) of the stock seat covering--should have gone leather.

I haven't drove an '07, but I was turned off immediately by the styling. The front end and the wheels just make the truck look almost wimpy. The previous body style was agressive and sporty. The new seems that it should be branded with Lincoln or Mercury.... maybe even Buick! It appears they are trying to pull in an older audience, which doesn't seem appropriate for the ST. No offense meant to anyone who likes the new stlye... just my .02.

As for the rear compartment, I thought it might be useful for storing emergency items, like a tire wrench, jumper cables, bungee cords, straps, etc. Something that you don't have to access all the time. I'd have to agree that the Ridgeline's rear mounted trunk would be easer to access though.

I do enjoy the side mounted storage compartments on my Ave! One side has all the essentials mentioned above, the other site has bottled water, and some pops. It's perfect for the fall time when it's cool outside! I don't think the ST has room for anythign like this though, without sacrificing bed storage space.

Latest posts