2004 Sport Trac Roll Over concerns

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian Dalton

Reaction score
HI Everyone,

I am considering a used 2004 SportTrac for my wife. However I read that the it only gets 3 stars in the roll over ratings. Is this a real problem? If I lowered the truck would this reduce the risk of roll over? Any info would be greatly appreciated since I am unsure whether or not to go ahead.

Thanks

Ian

yes it would but it is not that bad in my opinion no worse then any other SUV mine is a 4x4 which has a better rating than a 4x2 due to weight

It's not a bad vehicle Ian. I hit a patch of ice, and the back end came out and around and I never rolled it even when I hit dry pavement (40mph).

Get new shocks and a stiffer sway bar, they make a big difference in handling and make the ST much more sure-footed....withouth them a 2004 with almost any miles will be sloppy, have lean and sway, and bounce/vibrate badly over potholes and bumps at even moderate speeds.

Even if you just do the shocks, it will make a big difference.

TJR

Thanks everone for your replies. I have a 3 year old son so hence my caution. Does anyone know the price of the new 2007 SportTrac and when it might be available? My wife has fallen in love with this type of vehicle and I feel bad not letting her get it.

I've got Monroe Reflexes and I love them. Since then, I've lowered 3 inches in the rear and removed the torsion bar bolts up front. I think she handles much better now, but it does compromise the ride quality. (I tend to like a stiffer ride than most, though)

Ian, I have a 4 and 2 year old and have no worries about a rollover. I only changed the shocks (they are junk from the get-go) and still have the original swaybar. My wifes 2005 Mountaineer leans more than my ST. It's a great vehicle. Good luck on whatever you choose.;)

You have to also take those "rollover ratings" in the proper context. Look at the conditions they put those vehicles through in the rollover test. Most of the time, they're extreme, not real-world scenarios. Odds are that you'll never encounter a situation like those in the rollover test.

All the same, aftermarket shocks and the Explorer Express sway bar will improve your handling and safety. Not only do they reduce body roll, they also eliminate rear wheel hop, and improve the Sport Trac's handling in windy conditions. It doesn't rocks as much and buck the wind as bad during high winds.

Many members here have installed Monroe Reflex/Rancho RSX (same shock), Monroe Sensa-Trac/Rancho RS5000 (again, same shock), or ProComp shocks.

I personally have Rancho RSX shocks, the EE sway bar, and a Roadmaster Active Suspension kit.

Guys,

I really appreciate all your replies. It makes me feel a litle better about it. I think we'll go test drive it today and see what we think. Where is the best place to get all the modifications you all recommend?

Thanks,

Ian

Michelle,

I looked at the pictures of your ST. It looks awsome! How did you go about lowering it? i must say that seeing yours lowered makes me feel a lot better about the roll over situation.

Ian

Ian...I have an '04..I put the rancho rsx shocks on it, they are the same as the monroe reflex..I also have the EE sway bar...it rides and handles better than stock...I would say chance of rollover has been reduced at least 50%...if you drive a high center of gravity vehicle properly, you wont roll over anyway...there is always those unseen factors that even a low centered sedan can rollover...buy the trac you and your wife will enjoy it...:D

I'm running stock suspension (Yes, i know, I know):rolleyes:... and I do not drive slow, and like to push the truck a bit on the curves... EXCEPT when the pavement is wet.

Of course you have to know the limits, you are driving a truck! :wacko:

I'm sure I'm not the only one around here taking a 15mph posted curve at 35mph, of course it's not the same as driving a car, that is the reason my wife smokes me on her zx3...

Remember You are driving a Truck!:cool::D

Haha, I take that 15mph turn at 60. My passengers love those "oh sh!t" handles, and I just laugh.

The whole x-spec kit is probably a bit of overkill.

I've noticed that 4x4's ride lower than 4x2's. Good tires, shocks, and the swaybar make the trac run smooth.

My 2001 corners great, but I wouldn't run out and do 80 on a sharp turn, that's just stupid. I take sharp turns at 40. :D

I have done the hard yank left, yank right on the highway to avoid an accident with no problems. I never felt the Trac was as unstable as other vehicles I've driven, yet the shock / swaybar issue was unsettling. What would happen is that you would hit a bump on a curve at hwy speeds, and the back would kick out because the tires left the pavement. New shocks, no problem.

I feel quite safe in my Trac. My passengers on the other hand don't feel safe in any vehicle I drive.

I'm with Fer & Jeff on this one.

I replaced the shocks at 50k. It made a big difference in a sense that the other ones were shut by the time I replaced them (I hauled a lot of too heavy stuff for those poor shocks...).

Anyway; like Fer says; ONLY WHEN PAVEMENT IS DRY, I hit those curve in a way that defies gravity. I am actually surprised that I didn't roll it over yet. I seriously doubt your wife will be driving the way I do; especially if the kids are in the back.

I would like those rollover stats to include which percentage of those rollovers where the tires where not properly inflated....:huh:

:D I've got a stock '04 XLS and I haven't had any problems....but then again..I bought a Suzuki Samurai when I got out of college. I guess I've got a thing for vehicles with "high" rollover ratings!