2005 sport trac xlt throwing coolant everywhere

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBetts81

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
I have a 2005 Sport trac xlt that started spewing coolant when I left work today. Dash is reading normal but it is steadily leaking. Looks like it’s coming from the thermostat or right around that area. What should I look for or possible fixes??

Best to replace original junk Plastic ThermoStatHousing,
a notorious well known leaker, with Aluminum ThermoStatHousing.
Believe 2005 has only 1 TempSensor; earlier years had 2 TempSensors?
Should be able to reuse Plastic RadiatorOutletTopFlangeCover if desired with new Aluminum Housing.
Cost is comparable to plastic, but need to order online, most PartCounters will just stock junk plastic.
More info at
https://2001fordexplorersporttrac.fandom.com/Engine_Coolant_ThermoStat

2001.Ford_Cool.Stat_Hous.0200_OldPart.GIF
2001.Ford_Cool.Stat_Hous.0500_NewPart.GIF

Last edited:
Seems as if you have the common. T-Stat complete housing blowout. Look for the metal replacement. I dont have the link at this moment.
Thank you. After looking closer I found a big chunk blown out.

Just did mine. I had my alternator failed. And while I had the hood up, checked my thermostat housing. Leaking at where it joins. I was watching that since I learned it is a common failure item. Replaced it. I had to go online to buy a metal one. How is the radiator?

If you are doing the thermostat housing... Consider also the timing chain tensioners. The front one is right there and it is 99% easier to do when the thermostat housing is off.

+++^Ditto
Yep, best to replace any plastic Coolant system part with a metal version when possible:
~ Plastic to Aluminum ThermoStatHousing
~ PlasticTanked 1or2Row to AllAluminum 2or3or4Row Radiator
~ PlasticBall to MetalPlug HeaterControlValve
~ PlasticPreMoldedAssembly to StainlessBarbed HeaterHoseTee
etc

I'm aware of the crappy plastic coolant thermostat housing. Have a thermostat sitting in the garage, ready to replace it, as the coolant system is acting funky. Not spitting anything anywhere, but the girlfriend was driving her, and she was overheating. Wouldn't go full hot, and would go up, but come back down. I've never had one come back down in temp once heated. Temp issues are generally thermostat related, or water pump. The fact that it goes back down to proper temp kinda tells me that the water pump is working.

I found the radiator was about 2/3 gallon low. I filled the radiator (not the over-flow), and have zero problems since. I did NOT check the radiator at the time I bought the truck. Now a good 3-400 miles, and zero cooling issues.

The over-flow didn't seem to want to draw in coolant as needed before, but it drew it down about 1/3inch from perfect-full on the line in the last couple days. So, I have a radiator issue, but not bad enough that it's visible or audible. Does anyone know of a reliable radiator-leak fix (no, no boiled eggs, please). :)

Thanks!

JC

Most reliable radiator leak fix, is a new radiator. Dont trust the snake oil fixes.

Last Thursday my 2008 STA started leaking coolant. I can't tell where it's coming from. I can see there is an aluminum Thermostat housing. The radiator is the plastic tub type and has been weeping from the lower R/H side since I bought the truck. The radiator cap is the 20 lb type and I'll get a 16 lb to replace it. I ordered the 4 row radiator and will get the NAPA water pump too. I figure with 138K on the clock, if it isn't the radiator it's probably due to fail. Hopefully I can find all the hoses. NAPA has the lower one, but not the upper one. It looks good and probably was changed when the aluminum T-stat housing was installed. Still, I'd like to have all new hoses. Where can I get the metal plug heater control valve. Concurrently the dash board is clicking like a mini-machine gun with a three second burst on start up. What's that?

...Where can I get the metal plug heater control valve
...dash board is clicking like a mini-machine gun with a three second burst on start up. What's that?
Not sure which HeaterControlValve is on a 2008 SportTrac?
If you've got the simple 1Way Plastic BallValve, then a
Four Seasons Factory Air # 74603 (google it) will replace it; pics below.
Not sure of any metal replacement for a multiport Plastic BallValve.
Your 2008 has the HybridElectronicCluster\HEC; not sure about that issue.
Might also be the blend door actuator.

2001.Ford.ExST_Engi.Cool_Heat.Valv_Norm%3DOpen_Ford.yg368.GIF
2001.Ford.ExST_Engi.Cool_Heat.Valv_Norm%3DOpen_4Seasons.74603.GIF

Last edited:
Went through the Water Coolent BS just recently. Last December, Therm Housing. Didn't have time to wait on the aluminum internet purchase. System worked well until return from a long trip and... Radiator leak. Had them replace the water pump and all hoses at the same time. They couldn't believe I wanted to replace WP. Hello? got to remove the Rad for a WP replacement. Damn if I'm paying twice to pull the Radiator. It is a 2001 with 225,000+ miles on it.

Rediculous Bill. Time to clean out the garage and start turning wrenches myself.

Same shite with "Bad" gas. They only wanted to replace the fuel filter. Doh.... Drop the tank, clean and seal it, along with a new FP. Anytime I start bitching about repair cost I look at F150 cost. Cheaper to keep Her. (talking about my Trac)

Carl

I am with you on the cost of replacing with an F150 - I looked this summer but way to expensive and if I am honest overkill for my needs - made me love my ST even more

Thanks for the info about the heater control valve! I checked, it's the plastic valve. Access isn't too bad, but now is the time to replace it as the hoses will be replaced with the rest of the stuff.

I have the aluminum on order and will pick up the NAPA water pump tomorrow. Yesterday I went to O'Reilly's and talked with the Mgr about stop leak. He sold me the Bars Leak Radiator Stop Leak. They came in a pack of 6 tablets. I crushed up 4 tablets, dumped them in the radiator and topped it off with water. Then, drove for 20 minutes. Leaks stopped. Today I crushed up the other 2 tablets and drove the same 20 minute route. No leaks. I'm pretty sure this is a temporary fix, but all it has to do is get me through to next week when the radiator arrives. I'm packing some anti-freeze just in case. The rapid clicking hasn't returned.

I'm thinking that as long as I can turn a wrench, I'll have the STA. It's the perfect truck for me. I expect I'll be getting more familiar with it as time goes on. It's a clean truck with no rust. It should be my last.

Off subject: When I was first in the Navy, I hitchhiked to town a lot. An old Dutchman picked me up in a '36 Chevy pickup once. He told me he bought it new and always took it to the Chevy dealer. He said for the last 10 years they worked on it for just parts. Probably the best deal ever for a new truck! That was 1968.

Last edited:
Everyone forgets I SELL the aluminum replacement..... $85 shipped.... Have for 4.0 mustang and ranger too...

Seems as if you have the common. T-Stat complete housing blowout. Look for the metal replacement. I dont have the link at this moment.
forgot me huh ???

Everyone forgets I SELL the aluminum replacement..... $85 shipped.... Have for 4.0 mustang and ranger too...
The radiator? I paid $240 for the one DILLARD000 recommended. The STA already has an aluminum T-stat housing.

The radiator? I paid $240 for the one DILLARD000 recommended. The STA already has an aluminum T-stat housing.
4.0 aluminum thermostat housings.

Hello Todd, I need an aluminum thermostat assembly for my 2010 Sport Trac XLT. Please advise if you can assist. My contact number 9137064711 RT Behm

[email protected]

Latest posts