2007 V8 is junk

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
:(I got a 2007 ST XLT with the V-8 about two days after I got it the engine started knocking and making a chirping noise. The noise was only on the driver’s side, the dealer said they did not hear anything. Went to a different dealer they could hear the noise but said it was normal. I asked them to show me another one that was doing it they could not. Called the Better Business Bureau and they got involved, dealer could now hear the noise but did not know what it was. Dealer had a field Engineer to check it out.

Field Engineer also did not know what was wrong. Engineer told dealer to install new engine. Took ST to dealer 8:00 am Thursday today at 4:30 PM I called to see if they had finished, service manager said they got the new engine in and it was great but on the test drive the transmission was leaking and now they need to pull transmission and repair it.

I had a 2001 ST put 100,000 miles on it no problems. I would recommend no one buy a new ST until they get the bugs out. At this point I think Ford sucks.

Thats funny, because 2 members had the same issue, IT is a KNOWN issue from ford and the dealers should know...

You should have asked here first !!!!!!! We would have helped..

Todd Z

Sounds very similar to what I'm going through, including the description of the noise. In my case, though, I'm still waitng for the engineer to show up....

have an interest in this incident because it affects my brother. Clarence Marshall a.k.a. C.L., bought this 07 from Burns Ford In Lancaster, SC. Shortly after he bought it the engine started making noises on the upper drivers side. He drove it to my house and asked if I could hear the noise and I did. He took it back to the dealer and their Service manager and Sales manager said they could hear nothing unusual. At that time I believe he left it to have the lumbar support repaired. After getting the Trac back the noise continued to get louder and the lumbar was still broke. I went with him to another dealer and they could hear the noise but would not get between the original seller. He took it back to Burns after contacting the BBB. Surprisingly, the noise could be heard by them and said that all 07-V8’s made that noise, but would not start one on the lot to prove their statement. They were, In my opinion, clueless as to why this was happening. They finally decided to get and Engineer flown in because my brother was beginning to get under their skin and they knew he wasn’t going away. The engineer shows up, hear the noise has no clue and fly away. A week later my brother is told they were going to swap the engine. The ‘crated’ engine comes in. This is not a short or long block it is a new in the crate complete engine. The service manual says 6 hrs to do the exchange. Six yes 6 Days later they say the engine is in and it runs and sounds great, BUT now the transmission is leaking and they will have to keep and repair it. Apparently they don’t know to install an engine and damaged the front seal in the Tranny. I only hope that was all the damage they did.

Yes, all manufactures has a lemon once in a while but do they all have to compound the problems by having incompetence in their dealerships and service Departments?

I have had 0 problems with my 04 or my 05

By the way, His Lumbar is still broken. go figure

Last edited by a moderator:
There was another post with the TSB and everything for it..

Todd Z

Geeze, I can only imagine what folks feel when a NEW truck has major problems. best of luck to you. and be patient, all will be well, it is now documented with the dealership. make sure to get copies of all paperwork or check your invoice to make sure all work is accounted for.

again Good luck to you.

I'm still waiting for parts to fix my Lumbar support (2007). Glad I got the V6;)

I'm still waiting for parts to fix my Lumbar support (2007). Glad I got the V6;)

Flyer,

That kind of says it all, right there!

Clarence,

Sounds like a buy-back to me. Push the issue, and DEMAND and KEEP all

documentation for any issue, while under warranty, especially one this severe!

I have heard of some (unscrupulous) dealers either saying that a copy of the paper

work for the customer is neither allowed or required, while the vehicle is under warranty.

B.S., Period! Customer is allowed by law to have copies of any and all work done on

their vehicle, regardless of whether the work was performed under warranty, or not.

Unfortunately, this is beginning to sound a lot like the infamous G.M. Small Block

Piston Slap issue that has caused General Motors so much heartache. Theirs was due

to a design of the piston and piston skirt, resulting in a shorter piston, overall, making

it more likely to rock, or slap around in the cylinder, due to its lessend mass and

overall height, causing the knocking sound so many of us past and present silverado/

gmc owners have experienced! Good Luck, and keep up the pressure!!!;)

I had what Ford engineers in Louisville said was probably a bottom-end problem. In other words, a bearing or something where the piston rods connected to the crank. Previous to that, I had assued it was a variable cam timing (VCT) issue. However, the engineers told me that problem was cured when I spoke to them this June.

The engines that are produced are not assembled from basic parts at the factory. They are crated there and then the accessories, hoses, etc. are added to the engine on the assembly line. The engines that we are getting in our 07 ST's are the same 3V engines installed in Mustangs and Ford trucks.

To me, the fact that we're running 5w-20 in these beasts says that we're running with very tight tolerances. A lighter oil is required to get in these areas and lubricate the parts that would normally fail without the right oil. It's possible that things are TOO tight and in some engines, we end up with knocking and early engine failure. That's my guess.

My engine was knocking at 500 miles and worse at 850, so they replaced it under warranty. The dealer called the Ford hotline after reporting that the knocking noise went away after they removed the injector wires on one cylinder. After talking with the engineers in Louisville, an engine swap is preferred over letting the dealer fix the problem because Ford can then tear the engine down and diagnose the issue and use that information to prevent the problem in future engines. However, your transmission issue sounds like dealer negligence.

I'm with you Cruzrtwdgt! 2001 here. Just turned 48K. No problems with the vehicle. Little warranty issues around 15K. Nothing since. And, it's paid for. Sorry guys, "Bold Moves" is not going to temp me to buy a new Trac especially all the V8 engine problems.

I'll also keep my 01 Job 2 (with over 100,000mi) untill it pretty much burns too the ground. Only problem I've ever had was with the DPFE at 95,000mi which was easy enough for me to fix myself.