2009 STA for $12,899 ?!?!?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bo, I tried that link but there was no activity when I clicked onto the link:eek:nline:. Just gave me the waiting icon but nothing happened. Hard to believe that that price is true without some communication from the seller:argue:. Hopefully it is not a scam, but should it be true by some stretch of the imagination, and all of the truck is there, then it may be gone by now!

I just tried it from a different computer and it worked for me. Try going to Craigslist's Orlando listings and search on Sport Trac - should be the first item listed.

Seems too good to be true, so I e-mailed the seller the following questions:

1. Why are you selling it?

2. How many miles are on it?

3. Can you provide me with the VIN number so I can run a Carfax report?

4. Is the asking price of $12,899 firm, or negotiable?

I'll be interested to see if I get any answers...

TrainTrac, others,

Having tried to purchase "too good to be true" auto deals on Craigslist, let me tell you the attributes of one type of common "scam".

1. Seller will tell you they a serviceman stationed overseas

2. Vehicle is in storage, typically at their home town or nearby port city.

3. Vehicle cannot be seen because it is in storage, but you are assured it is as it is described.

4. Seller will take a "good faith" deposit, through paypal or wired money, and then set up the shipping of the vehicle to you. When you get the vehicle, and it meets all your expectations, you then pay the remainder. If you don't like the vehicle for whatever reason you are refunded your deposit and the seller pays to have the vehicle shipped back.

I've seen COUNTLESS examples like the above on CL. The scam is that the overseas person gets your deposit...and that's ALL that ever happens. Trying to get your money back at that time is pretty impossible.

I'm not saying the above is this type of scam...I am just saying to watch out for scams like the one I describe.

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got the following reply to my e-mail inquiry:

Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 17:27:47 +0200

Subject: Re: 2009 Ford Explorer Adrenalin

Hi,

Thank you for being interested in buying my 2008 Chevrolet Suburban, 23,550 miles, Transmision: Automat , VIN: 1gnfk16378j119236. It is in EXCELLENT condition; the body and paint are great, no scratches and no dents; the interior is clean; it has never been involved in an accident; the title is clear.

My final price on it is US 13,100 $

I just got divorced and I decided to move closer to my parents. Right now I'm located in Canada and the car is here with me. The car was awarded to me in our divorce. Being a single mother and not having a driver's license I decided to sell the car. As I'm unable to travel in the near future and I don't have anyone to help me with the sale I decided to make this transaction through eBay. I believe this protects both buyer and seller and it's the right way to do this.

So don't get me wrong and don't take it personally but I would prefer to secure the deal through eBay. Also because the car will be shipped from Canada to US I prefer to work with a third party in order to keep the both of us safe in this deal. I will be assured you will buy the car and you will be assured that you will receive it! Basically the money wil be sent to them and they will keep the money until you will receive the car and only after you will inspect and drive the car they will forward the money to me.

If you have other questions feel free to email.

Regards,

Susan

Methinks that the "third party" that will handle the money is probably in Nigeria.:bwahaha:

TJR,

No explanation was necessary. I'm not naive enough to have thought that this was legitimate. Nor do I think anyone else on this site is either. I simply sent the inquiry to call their bluff and see what the response (if any) would be.

TrainTrac, I see the subject is the STA, but the message body states Suburban... Think they are cuting and pasting depending on which ad they get a response to? :boohoo:

:bwahaha:

I see red flags everywhere!

Bottom line, buy locally. (Even CL says it)

Don't become "another" victim. :boohoo:

TrainTrac,

I was just trying to help you and others be aware of the attributes of a popular scam.

Since you called his bluff by asking for more info, I was kind of genuinely interested if his response would fit that model I described. Let us know if it does.

Thanks,

TJR

Here's the same STA in a New York craigs list ad. I just ignored it earlier because the price seemed too good. Here it's $12,900.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/ctd/1733918267.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems to me that a good lawyer should be able to help set up a purchase where they would be forced to provide you with exactly what they offer (perhaps an Adrenalin AND Suburban for $13k).:grin: If you could get a lawyer to set up the purchase from start to finish, of course. That's way beyond my understanding of the legal process, though.

By the way, doesn't eBay offer buyer protection? Why would they want to do it through eBay? Or do they still receive the money and eBay just provides a guarantee and your money back at their expense, only to go after the seller with their mega-lawyers?