2010 Sport Trac AWD Drivetrain Noise

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Connolly

Reaction score
Hi My 2010 Sporttrac Adrenalin AWD is having some issues. I have an intermediate noise coming from what I suspect is a component of the drivetrain underneath. It seems to come on after driving for awhile and actually seems to not make noise when wet say after going through the car wash. It is the kind of noise that you expect that something bad is going to happen like a driveshaft is gonna fall off. The noise is like a humming that only occurs when I accelerate. Perhaps this is lubrication issue? Is there a transfer case? Rear end fluid? Lubrication points? I have not done any service on anything under the truck except for Oil changes, muffler and all 4 wheel bearings. I also had an issue with leakage from my transmission bullhead connector which got the electronic connector wet with fluid which caused the truck to go into limp mode. This I think is a separate issue. ( I checked the fluid level and it is good )
Anyone know what this issue could be?
I also prob need a tranny Mount, tranny service, bulkhead connector change out ( which hasn’t leaked in a year, weird I guess if just resealed itself, I manipulated it when cleaning up the connector )

maintanance is key, All gearboxes have fluids, But the driveshaft carrier bearing is known for going. you could have a bad wheel bearing.
Sounds like you need a full check asap before a tire falls off...

maintanance is key, All gearboxes have fluids, But the driveshaft carrier bearing is known for going. you could have a bad wheel bearing.
Thanks Todd, the driveshaft carrier beam is that on an AWD ST? Only question I have now is do I goto the dealer or a regular guy.

Todd, I just watched a video on carrier bearing. I think that is exactly what’s wrong with my rig thanks.
Will update

Hi Todd, so I finally climbed under my truck tonite at work at man o man were u right. The center bearing has a whole lot of play in it. Going to order a replacement driveshaft today. Ty

glad you found that. Hopefully that’s it.

So fairly simple install? 6 bolts up front, 2 center bearing bolts and 4 bolts in the rear. Will need lock tight, torque wrench, deep sockets. Can you recommend a replacement shaft? I seen different ones from $300 to $800. Thanks again.

Hi My 2010 Sporttrac Adrenalin AWD is having some issues. I have an intermediate noise coming from what I suspect is a component of the drivetrain underneath. It seems to come on after driving for awhile and actually seems to not make noise when wet say after going through the car wash. It is the kind of noise that you expect that something bad is going to happen like a driveshaft is gonna fall off. The noise is like a humming that only occurs when I accelerate. Perhaps this is lubrication issue? Is there a transfer case? Rear end fluid? Lubrication points? I have not done any service on anything under the truck except for Oil changes, muffler and all 4 wheel bearings. I also had an issue with leakage from my transmission bullhead connector which got the electronic connector wet with fluid which caused the truck to go into limp mode. This I think is a separate issue. ( I checked the fluid level and it is good )
Anyone know what this issue could be?
I also prob need a tranny Mount, tranny service, bulkhead connector change out ( which hasn’t leaked in a year, weird I guess if just resealed itself, I manipulated it when cleaning up the connector )
I get a bit of a thump as I come to a full stop. Is that the same noise you were getting?

A thump when I push on or let off the throttle and an intermittent whine when accelerating. I am ordering the new driveshaft as we speak.

A thump when I push on or let off the throttle and an intermittent whine when accelerating. I am ordering the new driveshaft as we speak.
I might have the whine but, due to hearing loss I can't hear it. I started to get the wrench warning light but, the dealer wan ts the light to be on when I bring it. It clears when I shut the engine off

Does your car go into “limp” mode when the wrench comes on? Meaning the transmission feels like it’s locked into like 2 gear and won’t let you out of it?

Doesn’t go to full limp mode but just seems less power and flaky shifting. I usually stop and reset it. The thump is worse before I reset it but doesn’t go away completely

Gents, 2010 Sprttrac Adren AWD
What are the torque specs for the bolts?
4 12 MM in rear
6 at the transfercase
2 at the carrier beam.

Also to spin the driveshaft around to get to the other bolts i assume i have to have all 4 wheels off the ground and in neutral and turn?

Update::
Ok changed the driveshaft, went very smoothly. Carrier bearing was shot so had to be done however I still have the same sound on acceleration from time to time. I took truck to lube shop had them change oil in transfer case and rear diff. Still getting the sound.
Is there anything left to check like a forward differential or maybe the front two axles?
Or am I looking at a damaged/worn out transfercase? How about a transmission service? Transmission has fluid in it, i checked that little dipstick on top of transmission.

could be a wheel bearing, front and rear are problematic. my fronts lasted less than 100k, replaced with oem motorcraft, and my rear bearings are still original, but considering replacing them with the loaded rear knuckle replacements

could be a wheel bearing, front and rear are problematic. my fronts lasted less than 100k, replaced with oem motorcraft, and my rear bearings are still original, but considering replacing them with the loaded rear knuckle replacements
Maybe, I did change all 4 bearings at 80-100,000 miles. Truck has 130,000 now. I checked my receipt and yes he changed the front diff fluid as well. So next I think I will bring for a transmission service, new fluid and filter.
Maybe its something in there?

Hey Mark, I have a 2009 Adrenalin AWD with 375,000 km on it. Owned it since new. At about 100,000 km, it started making a weird sound on acceleration after it warmed up. Kind of a howling, sometimes clattering noise that made me think the trannie was piling up. Embarrassing going through the drive-through, it makes so much noise. Dealer could not find it and I couldn’t either. I finally said “go ahead and break so I’ll know what to fix”. It never did, and it still does it to this day. Many front hubs replaced, one rear axle bearing. Checked the driveshaft bearing, it seemed fine. Fluid levels all good, etc, etc. I don’t know if this is the same noise you’re hearing, but it’s a mystery to me. My guess is that it’s transmission-related, but it hasn’t really changed in almost 300,000 kms.
Len

Hey Mark, I have a 2009 Adrenalin AWD with 375,000 km on it. Owned it since new. At about 100,000 km, it started making a weird sound on acceleration after it warmed up. Kind of a howling, sometimes clattering noise that made me think the trannie was piling up. Embarrassing going through the drive-through, it makes so much noise. Dealer could not find it and I couldn’t either. I finally said “go ahead and break so I’ll know what to fix”. It never did, and it still does it to this day. Many front hubs replaced, one rear axle bearing. Checked the driveshaft bearing, it seemed fine. Fluid levels all good, etc, etc. I don’t know if this is the same noise you’re hearing, but it’s a mystery to me. My guess is that it’s transmission-related, but it hasn’t really changed in almost 300,000 kms.
Len
Thats great info thanks Len.

Latest posts