4 wheel drive?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Howard

Reaction score
Went to the Good-Guys car show in Columbus OH today and was directed to park where there was a small ditch beside the road. I pulled up close to the spot and put it in high 4 wheel drive and turned the steering almost to it/s limit to back into the spot. When I tried to backup the truck was VERY stiff and didn't want to move. I gave a little more gas and backed into the spot. I must have had a front tire stuck because it left rubber marks where the tire had slid on the pavement. I shifted back to 2 wheel drive and every thing seems fine. I need to play with it tomorrow, I had people with me and didn't check it out. Any ideas here? Thanks

Paul

Paul. The is the reason you should not use 4wd on dry pavement...

What you experienced is normal...

On Dry pavement the 4wd binds and the wheel want to turn at different speeds but they cant...

Todd Z

Paul, Todd is exactly right. To eliminate a high speed whine in driveline, front and rear differentials have very slightly different gear ratios. The front may be 4.11 and the rear may be 4.10, for instance. When the wheels turn, and you are locked in four wheel drive, something has to slip, or the driveline will bind up. The slippage occurs when the tires rotate, and thats exactly what happened to you. Thats why you saw ruber marks on the pavement. Like Todd said, never drive in 4X4 on pavement, only on surfaces where slippage can occur. Gravel, dirt, snow, ice, etc.

Gary

Thanks guys, I probably would have had it checked out by a mechanic. I have owned several 4X4s and this one is the first to do that that bad.