4x4 vs 4x2

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The lease on my 02 4x4 is up soon.I was thinking of buying a 4x2 model after this mostly because of fuel mileage.Can any one tell me if there is a big difference between the two models?Thanks Jeff

Yeah, one is 2 wheel drive and the other is 4 wheel drive. Sorry, had to do it. I don't think the MPG is to big of a difference.(you will of course get better MPG in a 2WD) Other than the obvious, not to much difference.;)

if you have any reason for a 4x4 buy it my boss just bought a toyota and wanted 4x4 but got a good deal pulse buy and got a 4x2 and now wishes he would have waited and ordered a 4x4.

I had a 4x4 Ranger for 2 years and I bought the 4x2 Sport Trac. I wanted the 4x2 because of a few reasons, cheaper, slightly better mileage, usually a little faster, cheaper insurance, and less parts to break. I live in NH and I don't feel that even in the winter I need a 4x4. My personal opinion is that if you can't drive a rwd vehicle in the winter you can't drive right. :)

Plus I'd really like to end up with making the ST a sport truck and a 4x4 isn't the best platform to start that with.

i'd say go with a 4x4!! you never know when you will need it. the gas mileage isnt going to be that big of a difference( its not like your going from a hummer to a honda) also 4x4's are worth more than 2wd's.

If you drive off-road, or live in an area that gets a lot of snow, then you may want to go with the 4X4 even if you burn a little bit more gas. If the above does not apply, then the 4X2 will get the job done for a lower price.

I don't drive off-road and I live in central Texas where snow is very scarce, (2X in 22 years) and then it's only about 2"-4" at the most and I've never had any problems. The 4X4 is a little heavier and may have a bit more driveline friction, but not enough to totally base your decision on. The 4X4 are more expensive so you can save a lot of gas money if you buy a 4X2. :D

...Rich

i have an '02 2wd, i get 16-17 around town, and 23 on the highway doing ~ 68 mph, and 10 mpg towing the trailer. as for winter, i live in the snowbelt, and all i need is the LS rear, and 7 bags of tube sand for weight, and some good wither tires. goes good. HTH

My first '04 ST was a two-wheel drive and the second '04 is a 4WD. For some reason the 4WD one has a better ride. I don't know if it is from the extra weight in front or what. I definitely enjoy the 4WD more in the winter and when off-road. I noticed no difference in gas mileage, unless I actually engage the 4WD.

[Broken External Image]:

My Old '04 ST XLT 4X2

[Broken External Image]:

My Current '04 ST XLT Premium 4X4

I like the 4x4, as my ST is the 1st one I have ever owned. It is true that a 4x4 can get you 4X as stuck if you are not carefull though... :rolleyes: I have had several 4x2 F150s, and if you know what you are doing, you can get through a lot with them, but it isn't the same as a 4x4. I think you just have more control when you need it with a 4x4...