A little offroading (PICS!!)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clay Campbell

Reaction score
Well my school(NC STATE), is on spring break. Really early so its still freezing but we decided to go to the beach anyway. We went to Kitty Hawk Outerbanks. Yesterday we decided to drive up to Corolla on the beach. We ended up driving all the way to virginia on the sand. We found some desereted neighborhoods off the beach that had no road access. The only way to get to these houses was by driving on the beach and using 4wd. This was the first time i have ever really needed my 4wd. The sand was really deep and really soft in some spots. When we got to the Virginia border we went back in the woods and I drove though some pretty deep waters. About up to the doors. It was my best day with my trac. Here are some pictures before we got to the tough stuff. It eventually got darker and to where we couldnt get out to take pictures.

This is before we left raleigh

[Broken External Image]:

When we first got on the beach

[Broken External Image]:

The roads into the deserted neighborhoods.

[Broken External Image]:

The wild horses we found roaming the deserted neighborhoods

[Broken External Image]:

The shallowest puddle i bothered to drive through

[Broken External Image]:

My buddies jeep with the trac

[Broken External Image]:

A little flex shot on a dune

[Broken External Image]:

Our sand toys

[Broken External Image]:

Closer shot

[Broken External Image]:

At the virginia border. It was pretty cool driving from one state to another completely on the beach.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
:cool::cool: Looked like fun !!

Todd Z

I love it.

I remeber when we could get onto the shore on Staten Island ( that's in New York).

Haha, I know where Staten Island is, You New Yorkers just think the rest of the world is oblivious!!;);):lol:

Looks like fun, I go four wheeling on the beach all the time too. Gotta be careful tho, deep sand is really tricky to drive in. I once saw a Ford Expedition too close to shore get stuck, and subsequently under water once the tide came in. Not pretty.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Thanks for sharing the pictures. Very cool!:cool: Makes me miss the Outer Banks and Tidewater, VA areas.

We rented a place there 2 summers ago, all the way up at the Virginia end.

I took the ST too.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Clay

"Haha, I know where Staten Island is, You New Yorkers just think the rest of the world is oblivious!!"

Now did i say that the rest of the world is oblivious? And dont ASSUME that all "US New Yorkers" are the same.

And if we all thought like that, Then i guess it's ok to say that "ALL YOU REDNECKS" are married to a family member? :p: lol:

(joking)

well long ago before the population boom, or should i say, before builders realized that there was still property to build on in New York, we were able to drive on the shore line. i remember back in 1996 when i bought my first truck, Chevy S-10, P/U, driving right up the sand dune and sitting in the bed with a buddy and a cooler and the fishing poles.... AAAAAHHHHHH! the old days.. :(

Made that trip for the first time in 1963. Can't count the number of time I traveled that route.

Best breaks were 1 mile south of the Sandbridge ramp and in front of the CG Station, we were some of the first to surf in that area. Some bad sand patches along that beach, only worst I ever found was 5 miles north of Rodanthe. Didn't have a back road until you reached Kill Devil Hill. Had a 46 Willis with 4 wd sometimes, most fishermen who traveled that beach only had 2 wd. Lived in Norfolk and worked at Bodie Island. Thanks for the Pics.

:cool::cool::cool:

I was down in Avon NC riding on the beach. It was before the ST. I had my '97 Explorer. Did great as long as I "aired down".

Did you guys have to air down the tires in the Trac??