About to Tow a Car - Help!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanner Jones

Reaction score
Hey Guys!

I have an '02 Sport Trac with 82,000 miles on it. I need to tow a 1999 Trans Am from about 4-5 hours away. What are your recommendations? I have never towed anything before.

How do you plan to tow. Tow Dolly or Trailer? Surge brakes or Electric brakes? Is the T/A a stick or automatic? Is your Trac an automatic or stick?

More information would be great.

Tom

A month after we bought our 2003, we towed a Ford Contour 1,000 miles from Houston to Knoxville using a tow dolly off the bumper hitch. Other than a tire with a slow leak, our Trac hauled it just fine. Even though I used a ball on the bumper, I would recommend using a regular tow hitch connected to the frame.

The Trans Am is a little heavier, but it shouldn't be a problem. You could disconnect the driveshaft on the Trans Am if you use the tow dolly, but it's not really necessary with a stick shift car. Just remember to put it in neutral! The car trailer has some weight of it's own, but it should be equipped with some kind of braking system, so that could be a help. Tow dollys don't have brakes, but they are a lot lighter. Check out your brakes before you go. Towing a car with a dolly can really increase your stopping distance! Take it slow and easy, especially when accelerating, and it should work fine. Our Trac has over 100k on it, and I wouldn't have a problem towing with it.

WHo are you getting the tow dolly/car trailer from? U-Haul won't rent a trailer if it's to be towed with an Explorer. Some here have gotten away with it, but it could be a problem.

Thanks for the info! I will look into renting a regular tow hitch connected to the frame. As far as renting goes, I have absolutely no idea - I will really need to look I suppose! Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tanner,

If I were you, here is what I would do. I would find someone to rent you a tow dolly. I would pull the front wheels, NEVER THE BACK WHEELS, onto a tow dolly, put it in neutral and tow it home. If the tow dolly has surge brakes, you will be fine.

Your Trac will do great.

Why want UHAUL rent to an Explorer?

UHaul's lawyers are Melvins. UHaul lost a lawsuit with some renters that were speeding, drunk, overloaded, etc., etc., etc. They ended up paying out the nose. So UHaul just decided NOT to rent to Explorers, though the Mercury Mountaineer and Mazda Navajo is OK.

Tom

ok cool thanks Tom! One other question though - I believe the Trans Am is lowered. Would this be a problem in towing in the manner you are saying? Also, any companies you recommend in getting it from?

It shouldn't be a problem, but that doesn't mean it wont be. A full trailer is better on the vehicle, but it will add 1500+ lbs to the load. A Tow dolly weighs about 500 LBS.

As for who to rent one from, that is a tough one. I own both myself so for me, rental is not a problem.

Tom

Latest posts