Almost New 05 Sport Trac

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
Found a 2005 red Sport Trac with 12,500 miles on it out of British Columbia. After going through paperwork left in the vehicle, it appears to have been cottage vehicle. All oil changes took place in either June or September.
It's pristine, but it's in the shop. It needs new torsion bars. My big concern with this vehicle is coming true, its suspension bushings given its age.
When I get her back I'll post some pics.

Unbelievable you SCORED a 2005 with 12,500 miles. How did you determine that it needs new torsion bars? Not very common at any mileage. Did you try tightening the torsion bolts to get desired ride height? Much more common with 2001-05 Sport Tracs to have weakened or flattened rear leaf springs that affect ride height. Another extremely common issue with ride height is caused by deteriorated body mounts. Especially the orange foam "B" and "C" locations directly below the cab. Body mounts at the radiator support and the rear most body mounts below the bed are rubber and usually intact. Take a look.

Dated article but still relevant. Aftermarket polyurethane body mount kits are available and widely used. Prothane 6116 and Daystar KF04015 are custom body mount kits made for 2001-05 Sport Tracs,
https://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/183

Unbelievable you SCORED a 2005 with 12,500 miles. How did you determine that it needs new torsion bars? Not very common at any mileage. Did you try tightening the torsion bolts to get desired ride height? Much more common with 2001-05 Sport Tracs to have weakened or flattened rear leaf springs that affect ride height. Another extremely common issue with ride height is caused by deteriorated body mounts. Especially the orange foam "B" and "C" locations directly below the cab. Body mounts at the radiator support and the rear most body mounts below the bed are rubber and usually intact. Take a look.

Dated article but still relevant. Aftermarket polyurethane body mount kits are widely used. Prothane 6116 and Daystar KF04015 are custom body mount kits that are made for 2001-05 Sport Tracs,
https://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/183
I replaced the front shocks and I felt the ride was still to spongy and IMO, metal fatigues over time. I've read about the leaf springs and I'll buy some helpers.
I wonder why the engineering grp went with torsion bars.
I will do a close inspection of the body mounts when I get it down to Florida where it's a bit warmer. I live in Henry's town, and my joints don't like cold anymore

Thank you for the article. I have an 08 explorer xlt with 206k on the clock. I religiously keep the underside as clean as possible during the winter months and it's paid off, so far...
The sport trac had a new exhaust put on, cat back. So, safe to assume it sat with some exposure to salt. The drive shaft is surprisingly orange and I'll take a peek at it when cement warms up. Other than that I feel pretty fortunate to have found this truck.

Wow, that is crazy low miles i am with @swshawaii and not a common failure, a little front right sag 1/4 to 1/2 inch, few cranks on t bars and fix, i have 65k on my 04 and thought that was low. post some pics.

Latest posts