Another set of Michelin's Gone at 23K

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CobraXP

Reaction score
Well, there goes another set of Michelin's from another '07. When I rotated them at 18K, they looked like they still had about 10K to go. I came out of the airport last Friday to find a flat. Aired it up and went home to plug it. When I took it off, the tire was just gone - no other way to explain it. Looked at the others and they were gone too.

I honestly think Ford chose too small of a tire for this truck. They might be rated to hold the weight, but I think they just need more tire. Either that, or Michelin really had a bad batch of tires. I have run 2 sets of Cross Terrain's on my Explorer and got 55K+ on both sets. I also have them on my wife's Escape. She has 30K on her set now and they still look good.

I got a set of Pirelli Scoprion ATR's in 265/60/18. Definitely a good choice so far. The ride feels like a totally different truck. They are 1/2" taller than the Michelin's, so they brought my speedometer inline perfectly to be true. They are going to be my winter set of tires and rims when I finally break down and get my other rims and tires.

Chalk up another set Ford... :(

So what makes these Tracs such tire eaters????????? :( I think the first set I have to purchase will be the Bridgestone Dueler A/T's. I have gotten extraordinary mileage out of the 695's on Rangers & Bronco II's.

What is wrong with every one? Am I the only one that can make a set of tires last?

I got 50K out of my OEM Michelin's. I just put another set on and I'm sure they will last also.

If you all would learn how to drive, your tires would probably last longer.

:rolleyes:

Rich, I think you may have a point.

I've had Michellins in the past and they were great tires. Had a set on an F150, put 36K miles on ity and the tires still looked great and I mean at least another 10K-15K no real signs of wear.

Put another set on a Ranger for my daughter, she drives spirited to say the least after 20K I took over the truck and was worried I'd need tires soon. I put another 12K on them and they looked as though they could go 10K more.

Have a friend with an 07 Explorer with the Michellins, she has 24K or so and her tires still look great. She babies her truck and drives it very docile.

If you drive a vehicle hard the first thing to take the beating are the tires especially with the OEM shocks and setup. Driving hard does not just mean spinning tires on pavement but it also depends on how you make turns, what your stopping habit are, and just the way you treat them in general.

I have never owned a new vehicle where the OE tires lasted over 20k, however the replacement tires have alwasy gone at least 40k with no change in driving habits. The OE tires are meant to ride quiet and comfy which makes them very soft and we all know soft tires don't last very long.

I have a Fusion with the OE tires which are Michelin and I now have 57000 on them they look to have another 10k in them, when there gone I'll replace them with the same tire...:)

In the early 90"s, I bought an "86 Honda with around 50,000miles on it. The Michelin tires lasted till 76,000 at which time I put on another set of Michelins; they lasted 66,000 miles. Then I bought a "96 Honda with Michelin X tires. By 30,000 miles, 3 tires had "gone bad" and had to be replaced. Michelin told me they were "entry-level" tires. I said "baloney, Michelin doesn"t make an "entry-level_tire. They gave me a small adjustment.

I usually get 50-70,000 miles on OEM Goodyear tires on other new vehicles. I'm a stickler for tire pressure and rotate between 3000-5000 miles. I have Goodyear Fortera's on my '07 ST and they will need replaced by 30,000 to 35,000 miles. I won't run them through this next winter. So....i don't think it's just the Michelins that have problems....and gatorrich, I drive it very sensibly. I baby it compared to my GM cars i bought new prior to the ST.

'07 ST:D

I have Goodyear Fortera's on my '07 ST and they will need replaced by 30,000 to 35,000 miles.

Same here. Just replaced my Fortera's with a new set at 35,000 miles. They still had another 5k at least on them but I'm taking a long road trip next week and I wanted new rubber for the trip.

I am known however; to drive like an old lady and don't rotate them as often as I should.

I ordered these new tires (same as the OEMs - Goodyear Fortera HL 235-70-16) from SAMS Club. They balance and rotate every 6k miles while I'm spending money in there store so I figured I can get 40 - 50K on these - Minimum.

What is wrong with every one? Am I the only one that can make a set of tires last?

I truly believe it's all about the driving habits - and not just the obvious - spinning, hard truning and so on... it has a lot to do with city vs highway driving. You can get 20k more with lots of highway driving any day of the week.

I do 80-85% city driving (like an old lady). But - when I drive highway, it's usually a long trip - like in the next few weeks - I figure I'll be driving 3-4k miles.

LOVE MY FORTERA's!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope, that wasn't me - however, I work right there - behind the Bank of America on the south side of Oakland about a block east of University - the 3 story concrete bunker behind what used to be Woody's. That's Broward School's main tech building.

Wasn't in that area today though.

It is definately the OEM Michelins used on the '07s are complete crap. I blame a bad rubber formulation.

I have had the same tire on other vehicles and it has done well. Michelin unloaded a bunch of crap tires on Ford.

Ford should really offer some compensation for '07 owners. There are many of us here who barely got over 20,000 miles on the OEMs and we don't have problems with other tires.

I got 65,000 on the GoodCraps that were on my '03 Adrenalin. Those tires sucked bad, but at least they wore like iron.

I have 49K on my GY Fortera, still some tread left, might get another 10K from them but I don't drive the ST much anymore, call it a garage queen if you want.

It all depends on driving style, what part of the country you live in, roads, weather, allignment, tire pressure and what tire for what application (vehicle you're driving). If you live in the north, more than likely your gonna go thru tires more (weather, winter, mountains/hills):eek:. If you drive like you rented it than you're probably burning them up too much:lol:. Lots of things come into factor with tire wear;):p.

gatorrich said:

I got 50K out of my OEM Michelin's. I just put another set on and I'm sure they will last also.

If you all would learn how to drive, your tires would probably last longer.

Before you run your mouth about people's driving habits bud; I suggest you know the person you are talking about before opening your mouth. I might not be well known on this board, but I can guarantee you that those that do know me both personally and on other Explorer and Ford boards will tell you that I am very meticulous about maintenance, my vehicles, and the way I treat them. I know you don't know me, so making claims that people need to learn to drive when you don't know them is a very asinine comment.

This was the first set of tires I have ever had - including the supposed bad, reckless Firestones on my '97 Explorer - that I have not gotten at least 40-50K miles out of. As I said, I've owned 3 sets of Cross Terrains before these and was glad they came on the ST when I bought it because I have had such good luck with them being a high mileage and well built tire. Whether it was a bad batch of tires from Michelin or whether the tire won't handle the weight of the truck - there was something wrong with these tires. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another set of Cross Terrains for another vehicle or the ST, but I would not buy the same size for the ST. I chose the Pirelli's this time because I have had very good performance from them also and I could get them cheaper than a set of Cross Terrains. I've also run the LTX's you linked to and have good luck with them also. I don't know why you linked to them when we are talking about Cross Terrains, but I guess that is what you run.

Gavin,

I talked to the local dealership I bought it from (who knows me well) and they were willing to put new tires on for warranty, but wanted to put the same tire and size on. I didn't want that size, so I went with something else. Ford will do something about the tires, but I think it will depend on the dealer and if you want the same thing again.

David

Oh boy, here's another one that needs to get off the internet.

I'm so sorry I hurt your feelings. I take it all back! All the horrible things I've said about you! All of it!

Hello Cobra, welcome to the SportTracSite, where all of us are a close knit community of Respectful ST owners. We don't act childish on this board and we don't go off on other members and tell them what to do and not to do. We have respect for each other here so if you want to "run your mouth" as you say, please take it elsewhere. We had enough kids on here and Todd took care of those troublemakers. So grow up or ship out. Thank you and have a nice day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone considered that we might have a general "bell curve" of tire wear going on here?

Maybe at the low end some folks are getting about 25k of tire life; the at the other end of the spectrum some folks are getting 50k or more out of their OEM tires. That would mean that a majority of folks are in the middle, the high part of the bell, are getting between 35k and 40k on their tires.

However, I don't suspect the graph is a bell curve. Instead, I think it is an inverse bathtub curve. I suspect the curve starts low and ramps up quickly, starting at around 20k and hitting the max between 25k and 30k, then trails slowly down to lower and lower levels at 40k and very short at 50k and beyond. Think of a teardrop, cut in half-vertically, and laying on its side with the fat part on the left...that's what I expect the curve would look like.

There IS a problem with the OEM tires, IMHO. Mine were shot at 22k miles.

TJR

Latest posts